YSF12SyllabusRev0818 616RT YSF12Syllabus Rev0818
User Manual: 616RT
Open the PDF directly: View PDF .
Page Count: 4
This Feis is sanctioned by the North American Feis Commission
Member of the North American Feis Commission (http://northamericanfeiscommission.org) Patricia Watkins – Pres.
Member An Coimisiun (http://www.clrg.ie), Dublin, Ireland
Rules Per IDTANA Mid-AtlanƟc Region (www.Mid-AtlanƟcRegion.com) And N.A.F.C
2012North American Feis
Senior Belt (16 & Over)
Gerry Campbell Perpetual Belt
Bob Gabor Feis Syracuse NY 4/28/2012
Junior Cup (Under 16)
Robert Gabor Perpetual Trophy
DelawareFeis Wilmington DE 8/12/2012
Minor Trophy (Under 13)
George Sweetnam Memorial Trophy
Celtic Fling Feis Manheim PA 6/23/2012
NAFC under 15 Music
Buckeye State Feis 4/21/2012
NAFC 15 & over Music
Pittsburgh Winter Feis 12/29/2012
Online entries only FeisWeb.com
No Email or Phone Entries
Registrar: Peg Abbamonte
(Must put “Feis” in subject line.)
All fees are in US Dollars. International entries
must pay online or send US money orders. No
personal checks marked “US Funds” can be
Additional copies of syllabus available online at:
Opening Ceremonies at 8:15 AM
Figures Commencing at 8:30 AM
On Time Entry Deadline Oct 10, 2012 or Until Cap
Check hƩp://youngschoolirishdance.com for updates!
Entries only taken as space allows.
Late Fees Will Be Enforced.
Judges as of 8/14/2012:
Ann Marie Leonard
ENTRIES WILL BE CAPPED AT 1000 – NO FEIS DAY ENTRIES
Special Halloween-themed Dances and Prizes!!!
Saturday Oct 20, 2012
Hyatt Regency Rochester
125 E. Main Street
Rochester, NY 14604
Feis Rate: (single or double): $119.00
70 State Street
Rochester, NY 14614
Holiday Inn Airport
911 Brooks Avenue
NO SOLO COSTUMES
ALLOWED. ONLY CLASS COSTUMES
OR A SKIRT AND BLOUSE.
We reserve the right to
combine competition age
Particularly when less than
five dancers are entered.
Any 3 Hand
Any 4 Hand
Under 7 802 803 804
Under 9 812 813 814
Under 11 822 823 824
Under 13 832 833 834
Under 15 842 843 844
15 & Over 852 853 854
All Ages 1001
Special Needs Child – No Fee
All Ages 1004
Under 16 1005
Arts & Crafts
16 & Over 1006
Under 14 1007 1008
14 & Over 1009 1010
Boys & Girls
(Tempo 118) Light
Jig Slip Jig
(Tempo 118) Single Jig
Under 5 101 102 103 104
Under 6 111 112 113 114
Under 7 121 122 123 124
Under 8 131 132 133 134
Under 9 141 142 143 144
Under 10 151 152 153 154
Under 11 161 162 163 164
Under 12 171 172 173 174
12 & Over 181 182 183 184
Boys & Girls
(Tempo 118) Light
Single Jig Treble
Under 6 201 202 203 204 205 206
Under 7 211 212 213 214 215 216
Under 8 221 222 223 224 225 226
Under 9 231 232 233 234 235 236
Under 10 241 242 243 244 245 246
Under 11 251 252 253 254 255 256
Under 12 261 262 263 264 265 266
12 & Over 271 272 273 274 275 276
Boys & Girls
Reel Light Jig Slip Jig Single Jig Treble Jig
Under 7 301 302 303 304 305 306
Under 8 311 312 313 314 315 316
Under 9 321 322 323 324 325 326
Under 10 331 332 333 334 335 336
Under 11 341 342 343 344 345 346
Under 12 351 352 353 354 355 356
Under 13 361 362 363 364 365 366
Under 14 371 372 373 374 375 376
14 & Over 381 382 383 384 385 386
Reel Slip Jig Single Jig Treble Jig
Under 8 401 402 403 404 405 406
Under 9 411 412 413 414 415 416
Under 10 421 422 423 424 425 426
Under 11 431 432 433 434 435 436
Under 12 441 442 443 444 445 446
Under 13 451 452 453 454 455 456
Under 14 461 462 463 464 465 466
Under 15 471 472 473 474 475 476
Under 16 481 482 483 484 485 486
16 & Over 491 492 493 494 495 496
Boys & Girls
Under 13 808
13 & Over 818
Under 6 1000—Reel
May not register for any Begin-
ner—Prizewinner dance event.
Soda Bread Fancy Cakes
All Ages 1011 1012
Hand Dance ($5.00 per competitor - Proceeds to benefit the
American Cancer Society)
Special prizes for first place in each category!
1013—U11 - Reel
1014—U13 - Treble Jig or Hornpipe
1015—U16 - Reel
1016—O16 and Adults - Treble Jig or Hornpipe
2 Hand 3 or More Hand
All Ages 1002 1003
Halloween-themed special dances. These will be danced at
the end of the day. Competitors are encouraged to dress in
Halloween costumes for these dances only - plan accord-
All dances are $5.00 per competitor.
1019—Prelim / Champ U13
1020—Prelim / Champ O13
1022—Beg/Adv Beg Reel (all ages)
3-hand costume special (48 bars):
1024—O13 and adults
Entry Fees (each dancer / each event)
Arts, Crafts, & Music $6.00 (each competitor / each event)
Special Needs Child no charge for competition
Solo Dancing $8.00 (each dancer / each event)
Halloween Specials $5.00 (each dancer / each event)
Hand Dance for Charity $5.00 (each dancer / each event)
Figures $6.00 (each dancer / each event)
Family Max $85.00 ( + late fee, family fee, and charity
events if applicable)
Late Fee (After Oct 10, 2012) $10.00 per dancer / $20.00 Family
Changes After Oct 10, 2012 $10.00 per dancer
NOTE: No changes after Oct 13, 2012
Family Fee $15.00 per family (No fee charged at door)
All fees are in US Dollars. Paypal payments only
Feis policy is NO refunds
R-HP R-TJ SJ-HP SJ-TJ
Under 10 510HR 510TR 510HS 510TS
Under 11 511HR 511TR 511HS 511TS
Under 12 512HR 512TR 512HS 512TS
Under 13 513HR 513TR 513HS 513TS
Under 14 514HR 514TR 514HS 514TS
Under 15 515HR 515TR 515HS 515TS
Under 16 516HR 516TR 516HS 516TS
Under 17 517HR 517TR 517HS 517TS
Girls pick ONE of the Four
Boys pick R-HP or R-TJ
Under 8 508HR 508TR 508HS 508TS
Under 18 518HR 518TR 518HS 518TS
18 & Over 519HR 519TR 519HS 519TS
Under 9 509HR 509TR 509HS 509TS
Set R-TJ-Set SJ-HP-
(Traditional Set) 609RH 609RT 609SH 609ST 709RH 709RT
Under 10 610RH 610RT 610SH 610ST 710RH 710RT
Under 12 612RH 612RT 612SH 612ST 712RH 712RT
Under 14 614RH 614RT 614SH 614ST 714RH 714RT
Under 16 616RH 616RT 616SH 616ST 716RH 716RT
Under 18 618RH 618RT 618SH 618ST 718RH 718RT
18 & Over 619RH 619RT 619SH 619ST 719RH 719RT
Sets for Prelim
Under 10 530
Under 11 531
Under 12 532
Under 13 533
Under 14 534
Under 15 535
Under 16 536
Under 17 537
Girls & Boys
Under 18 538
18 & Over 539
2 or 3 Hand 4 Hand 6 Hand 8 Hand
Adult 862 864 866 868
Child Under 10 1025
Child 10 & Over 1026
Adult / Child
Register CHILD only
Prelim. and Championship competitions.
Read choices and pick carefully.
Reel Light Jig Slip Jig Treble Jig
(Tempo 92) Hornpipe
(Tempo 138) Single (Hop)
Beginner 901 902 903 904 905 906
Beginner 911 912 913 914 915 916
(Tempo 73 or
92) (Tempo 113
Novice 921 922 923 924 925 926
Prizewinner 931 932 933 934 935 936
New for 2012 Hard shoe speed choice
for adults in Novice/Prizewinner!
Sashes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place in Preliminary and Championship.
Note: Under 9 must
perform TradiƟonal Set.
New for adults—Speed choice in hard shoe dances in Novice/
Entries and Paypal
No mail, phone, or email
entries will be accepted.
Entries taken at:
Adult Traditional Set 941
Adult Treble Reel 942
Preliminary Sets Please Note:
Entrants for the Preliminary Set compeƟƟon should expect the compeƟƟons to be scheduled on a grade stage later in the day.
DANCING COMPETITION RULES
Adopted By The North American Feis Commission, 2011
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2012
1. In the case of all solo and team competitions in all grades, the age of a competitor on 1st January of the year in which the competition is held will determine the right of entry. For the purposes of this
Rule a competitor whose birthday occurs on 1st January shall be deemed to be under the age attained on that date.
2. Competitions are open to all but those holding a TMRF, TCRG, or ADCRG designation. All dancers must be pupils of a person currently registered with An Coimisiun as a Dancing Teacher of any catego-
3. A competitor may be disqualified for any of the following reasons:
a) Conduct unbecoming a lady or gentleman.
b) Failure to report on time to compete. (Penalty: disqualification from said event)
c) Falsification of age or other important facts – i.e., teaching, award winning, competing under another competitor’s name or number, etc.
Penalty for a) or c): Competitor will be disqualified from the Feis at which the occurrence happened and from all NAFC – registered Feiseanna for a period of one year beginning at the date
of the occurrence.
4. Competitions may be closed if there are no competitors at the assigned stage ready to compete when the competition is scheduled or announced. May not pertain to a situation where competitors are
involved in stage conflicts.
5. Solo competitors in First Feis (if offered), Beginner, Advanced Beginner, Novice or Open (Prizewinner) competitions:
a) Must compete in their own age group.
b) Must be prepared to perform two steps in each event.
c) Cannot change competition on the day of the Feis.
6. Steel taps or “bubble” heels on dancing shoes, display of awards, wearing of shorts or other unconventional dress is prohibited. Authentic Gaelic dress is desired. First Feis (if offered), Beginner and
Advanced Beginner, aka Beginner I and II, must wear a class costume, or a skirt and blouse. All other categories are excluded from this rule. Modest attire is encouraged when a competitor is not
7. Competitor’s number must be worn and visible to adjudicators when performing in all competitions, use of reflective plastic number covers is discouraged.
8. Awards will be determined in proportion to the number of entries in each competition and to the degree of proficiency shown.
9. Complaints must be in writing stating names and other factual information and signed by the complainant. A ten-dollar fee must be enclosed and presented to the Feis Chairman within one hour of the
occurrence. The fee will be returned if the complaint is upheld.
10. The Feis Committee and any organization affiliated with same, will not be held responsible for personal injury, property loss or damage. Destruction of Feis property or rental property will be punishable
11. The Feis reserves the right to reject any entry for cause, to cancel all or part of the Feis and to limit competitor’s performing time. The decision of the Feis Committee is final in all matters connected with
12. Competitors must answer all questions as required by the Feis Entry committee, including teacher’s name, and enclose the entry fee when mailing. Failure to do so will result in a rejected entry. Entries
must be postmarked on or before the closing date or they will be subject to a late fee of _____ (Determined by the Feis).
13. Entrants in any Championship event may not enter in any other (Grade) events, but may enter in Figure Dances. Entrants in Championships should specify, on the entry form, their choice of set
dance. Entrants cannot change competition or category on the day of the competition.
a) Dancers must qualify for open championship via the method now in place for preliminary championship, i.e. two 1st place wins.
b) Dancers must compete in the preliminary championship competition in order to qualify for open championship
c) The regional syllabus where the Feis is being held may have different qualifications for entry.
14. Combining male and female dancers in any age category is left to the discretion of each region of the IDTANA.
15. Preliminary Championships are open to those who, at any NAFC recognized Feis:
a) Have won 1st place in both an open/prizewinner light and heavy shoe competition, and
b) Have never won 1st, 2nd or 3rd in Open Championship. A dancer who wins two first place awards will move on to Open Championship at the next Feis they enter, or as soon as the
second win is achieved, in any age category, in the following years. Only in the case of back-to-back Feiseanna (successive days), in which case the first win in the first Feis will not
change the dancer’s status for the second Feis. A dancer is required to perform a light shoe dance (reel or slip jig for ladies and reel only for men), and a hard shoe dance. A Feis can
opt to offer either a) a set dance or b) a jig/hornpipe.
c) The regional syllabus where the Feis is being held may have different qualifications for entry.
16. Championships and Preliminary Championships require at least three adjudicators.
17. First place winners in the Open Championship category cannot return to a Preliminary or Open (Prizewinner) competition. Placing in a Regional or National Oireachtas does not change the status of a
competitor. A dancer who moves into open championship must stay a minimum of 2 years. If after 2 years they have not placed they are allowed to return to preliminary. An open championship dancer
who places is not allowed to return to preliminary until 2 years after their last placement. The regional syllabus where the Feis is being held may have different qualifications for entry.
18. The status of the dancer does not change unless there are five or more dancers in a competition.
19. Each region may determine the system for moving dancers from one grade to another, as they see appropriate for their region. The syllabus is to contain all grade categories. A Feis Committee may
combine two consecutive age categories into the higher of the two categories within that grade when less than five (5) competitors are entered.
20. Beginner Grade: A beginner is a competitor who has not yet taken a full year of Irish Dance lessons, thereby giving beginners a full year with such status. A Beginner must move into the Advanced
Beginner category the next year.
Advanced Beginner Grade: An advanced beginner who wins 1st, 2nd or 3rd place will advance to the Novice category in that particular dance. Competition dances are reel, light jig, slip jig, traditional
treble jig and traditional hornpipe, as a minimum requirement.
Novice Grade: A novice who wins a 1st place will advance to the Open (Prizewinner) category in that particular dance.
Open Grade (Prizewinner): A competitor who does not qualify as a beginner, advanced beginner or as a novice.
Adult Beginner: An adult beginner is a competitor who never took Irish dancing lessons as a juvenile and is over 18 years of age.
21. Musicians and adjudicators cannot be approached during a competition by anyone except the Feis Committee. No one can approach them while a competitor is performing.
22. Musicians employed by the Feis Committee will be solely under the direction and management of the Feis Committee on Feis day.
23. Teachers or team captains are responsible that their teams are complete and in position when the competition is announced. Competitors may compete in the next higher age group; however, a com-
petitor may compete in only one age group.
24. In matters pertaining to adjudication, the decision of the adjudicators is final.
25. Adjudicators are to monitor the quality of music at the stage(s) to which they are assigned.
26. First Feis (if offered), Beginner, and Advanced Beginner dancers are required to dance at traditional speeds. Novice and Open/Prizewinner dancers may choose between traditional and Oireachtas
speeds. Adult dancers are allowed to dance traditional or Oireachtas speed dances in the novice and prizewinner grade levels, but this does not apply to contemporary set dances.
27. The length of 2 hand and 3 hand dances in competition are to be 48 bars of music plus an 8 bar introduction
28. In consideration of safety and in fairness to dancers performing at a Feis, photography of any kind which has the capability of capturing a dancer's image while in motion is strictly forbidden.
A Feis may elect to allow in motion photography for publicity purposes, but the pictures are considered the sole property of the Feis and solely for Feis use only; these are not be used for personal
gain through commercial use or sale, and under no circumstances can they be published on any website or other areas, without the express written permission of the persons involved.
Additionally, a professional photographer may be formally contracted by a Feis to capture non-motion photographs, such as portrait photography, awards ceremonies, etc. and/or in motion pho-
tography provided it is taken at a vendor station or suitable location: (a) away from the dancing stages and, (b) requested by a consenting parent, guardian, or dancer (over the age of 18).
29. No block, en Pointe, toe walking movements, stationary or moving is allowed to be performed for all ages up to and including the under 12 age group. However, after September 1 of each year an
exception is made for those dancers who are 11 dancing in the under 12 age group.
30. Make up is prohibited on a dancer in the first three grades (First Feis (if offered), Beginner and Advance Beginner or their equivalent) up to and including the under 12 age group.
31. Any competitor found to be using artificial carriage aids and subsequently refuses to remove same, will be subject to disqualification from that particular competition. Medically prescribed aids (proof of
which may be required) will be exempt from this rule.
32. Each Feis is required to list their adjudicators on their syllabus and/or website. If adjudicators are not listed on the syllabus, they must be posted on the Feis website a minimum of three weeks prior to the
Feis. One third of the adjudicators are to be from outside the region where the Feis is being held.
33. Competitors in girl’s competitions at the First Feis (if offered), Beginner and Advanced Beginner Grade will wear only the competitor’s dancing School costume or a skirt and blouse.
34. No substance that can become airborne should be used on any dance floor in an attempt to improve traction.