SC 100 Plaintiff’s Claim And ORDER To Go Small Claims Court SC100

User Manual: SC100

Open the PDF directly: View PDF PDF.
Page Count: 5

You are the defendant if your name is listed in on page 2 of this form.
The person suing you is the plaintiff, listed in on page 2.
SC-100 Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER
to Go to Small Claims Court
SC-100, Page 1 of 5
Plaintiff's Claim and ORDER
to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)
Date Time Department Name and address of court, if different from above
The people in and must go to court: (Clerk fills out section below.)
Judicial Council of California,
Revised January 1, 2017, Mandatory Form
Code of Civil Procedure, §§ 116.110 et seq.,
116.220(c), 116.340(g)
Notice to the person being sued:
Read this form and all pages attached to understand the claim against you
and to protect your rights.
Bring witnesses, receipts, and any evidence you need to prove your case.
If you lose, the court can order that your wages, money, or property be
taken to pay this claim.
You and the plaintiff must go to court on the trial date listed below. If you
do not go to court, you may lose the case.
Aviso al Demandado:
Lea este formulario y todas las páginas adjuntas para entender la demanda en su contra y para proteger sus derechos.
Lleve testigos, recibos y cualquier otra prueba que necesite para probar su
Si pierde el caso la corte podría ordenar que le quiten de su sueldo, dinero u
otros bienes para pagar este reclamo.
Usted y el Demandante tienen que presentarse en la corte en la fecha del
juicio indicada a continuación. Si no se presenta, puede perder el caso.
Order to Go to Court
Instructions for the person suing:
You are the plaintiff. The person you are suing is the defendant.
You must have someone at least 18—not you or anyone else listed in this case—give each defendant a court-stamped
copy of all five pages of this form and any pages this form tells you to attach. There are special rules for “serving,” or
delivering, this form to public entities, associations, and some businesses. See forms SC-104, SC-104B, and SC-104C.
Fill out pages 2 and 3 of this form. Then make copies of all pages of this form. (Make one copy for each party named in
this case and an extra copy for yourself.) Take or mail the original and these copies to the court clerk’s office and pay
the filing fee. The clerk will write the date of your trial in the box above.
Before you fill out this form, read form SC-100-INFO, Information for the Plaintiff, to know your rights. Get
SC-100-INFO at any courthouse or county law library, or go to
Go to court on your trial date listed above. Bring witnesses, receipts, and any evidence you need to prove your case.
Usted es el Demandado si su nombre figura en de la página 2 de este
formulario. La persona que lo demanda es el Demandante, la que figura en
de la página 2.
Date: Clerk, by , Deputy
Clerk stamps date here when form is filed.
Fill in court name and street address:
Superior Court of California, County of
Court fills in case number when form is filed.
Case Number:
Case Name:
The defendant(the person, business, or public entity being sued) is:
Mailing address (if different):
Street address:
Street City State Zip
Street City State Zip
The plaintiff (the person, business, or public entity that is suing) is:
. (Explain below):
If no specific date, give the time period:
Check here if either plaintiff listed above is doing business under a fictitious name. If so, attach form SC-103.
Check here if more than two plaintiffs and attach form SC-100A.
Plaintiff (list names): Case Number:
If more than one plaintiff, list next plaintiff here:
If the defendant is a corporation, limited liability company, or public entity, list the person
or agent authorized for service of process here:
Check here if your case is against more than one defendant, and attach form SC-100A.
Check here if any defendant is on active military duty, and write his or her name here:
The plaintiff claims the defendant owes $
Why does the defendant owe the plaintiff money?
When did this happen? (Date):
Date started: Through:
How did you calculate the money owed to you? (Do not include court costs or fees for service.)
Check here if you need more space. Attach one sheet of paper or form MC-031 and write “SC-100, Item 3” at
the top.
Revised January 1, 2017 SC-100, Page 2 of 5
Plaintiff’s Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)
Mailing address (if different):
Street address:
Street City State Zip
Street City State Zip
Mailing address (if different):
Street address:
Street City State Zip
Street City State Zip
Street City State Zip
Job title, if known:
Check here if any plaintiff is a “licensee” or “deferred deposit originator” (payday lender) under Financial
Code sections 23000 et seq.
If no, explain why not:
You must ask the defendant (in person, in writing, or by phone) to pay you before you
sue. If your claim is for possession of property, you must ask the defendant to give you
the property. Have you done this?
Why are you filing your claim at this courthouse?
This courthouse covers the area (check the one that applies):
Is your claim about an attorney-client fee dispute?
Are you suing a public entity?
If yes, you must file a written claim with the entity first.
If the public entity denies your claim or does not answer within the time allowed by law, you can file this form.
Have you filed more than 12 other small claims within the last 12 months in California?
If yes, the filing fee for this case will be higher.
Requests for Accommodations
Assistive listening systems, computer-assisted real-time captioning, or sign language interpreter
services are available if you ask at least five days before the trial. Contact the clerk’s office for form
MC-410, Request for Accommodations by Persons With Disabilities and Response. (Civ. Code, § 54.8.)
I understand that by filing a claim in small claims court, I have no right to appeal this
If yes, I have not filed, and understand that I cannot file, more than two small claims cases for more than $2,500 in
California during this calendar year.
(1) Where the defendant lives or does business.
(2) Where the plaintiff’s property was damaged.
(3) Where the plaintiff was injured.
Where the buyer or lessee signed the contract, lives now, or lived when the contract was made, if this claim,
is about an offer or contract for personal, family, or household goods, services, or loans. (Code Civ. Proc.,
§ 395(b).)
Where the buyer signed the contract, lives now, or lived when the contract was made, if this claim is about a
retail installment contract (like a credit card). (Civ Code, § 1812.10.)
Where the buyer signed the contract, lives now, or lived when the contract was made, or where the vehicle is
permanently garaged, if this claim is about a vehicle finance sale. (Civ Code, § 2984.4.)
Other (specify):
List the zip code of the place checked in above (if you know):
If yes, and if you have had arbitration, fill out form SC-101, attach it to this form, and check here:
A claim was filed on (date):
Plaintiff types or prints name here
Second plaintiff types or prints name here
Revised January 1, 2017 SC-100, Page 3 of 5
Plaintiff’s Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)
Plaintiff (list names): Case Number:
(4) Where a contract (written or spoken) was made,
signed, performed, or broken by the defendant or
where the defendant lived or did business when the
defendant made the contract.
Yes No
Plaintiff signs here
Second plaintiff signs here
Yes No
Yes No
Yes No
Is your claim for more than $2,500? Yes No
I declare, under penalty of perjury under California State law, that the information above and on any attachments to this
form is true and correct.
Information for the defendant (the person being sued)
How do I get ready for court? You don’t have to file any
papers before your trial, unless you think this is the wrong court
for your case. But bring to your trial any witnesses, receipts, and
evidence that supports your case. And read “Be Prepared for Your
Trial” at
"Small claims court" is a special court where claims for
$10,000 or less are decided. Individuals, including "natural
persons" and sole proprietors, may claim up to $10,000.
Corporations, partnerships, public entities, and other businesses
are limited to claims of $5,000. (See below for exceptions.*) The
process is quick and cheap. The rules are simple and informal.
You are the defendant—the person being sued. The person who is
suing you is the plaintiff.
If you were at the trial, file form SC-140, Notice of Appeal. You
must file within 30 days after the clerk hands or mails you the
judge's decision (judgment) on form SC-200 or form SC-130,
Notice of Entry of Judgment.
If you were not at the trial, fill out and file form SC-135, Notice of
Motion to Vacate Judgment and Declaration, to ask the judge to
cancel the judgment (decision). If the judge does not give you a
new trial, you have 10 days to appeal the decision. File form
For more information on appeals, see
Do I have options?
Yes. If you are being sued, you can:
Settle your case before the trial. If you and the
plaintiff agree on how to settle the case, the plaintiff must file
form CIV-110, Request for Dismissal, with the clerk. Ask the
Small Claims Advisor for help.
Let the case "default." If you don’t settle and do not go to
the trial (default), the judge may give the plaintiff what he or she
is asking for plus court costs. If this happens, the plaintiff can
legally take your money, wages, and property to pay the
Agree with the plaintiff's claim and pay the
money. Or, if you can’t pay the money now, go to your trial
and say you want to make payments.
Sue the person who is suing you. If you have a claim
against the plaintiff, and the claim is appropriate for small claims
court as described on this form, you may file Defendant's Claim
(form SC-120) and bring the claim in this action. If your claim is
for more than allowed in small claims court, you may still file it in
small claims court if you give up the amount over the small
claims value amount, or you may file a claim for the full value of
the claim in the appropriate court. If your claim is for more than
allowed in small claims court and relates to the same contract,
transaction, matter, or event that is the subject of the plaintiff's
claim, you may file your claim in the appropriate court and file a
motion to transfer the plaintiff's 's claim to that court to resolve
both matters together. You can see a description of the amounts
allowed in the paragraph above titled “Small Claims Court.”
Go to the trial and try to win your case. Bring
witnesses, receipts, and any evidence you need to prove your
case. To have the court order a witness to go to the trial, fill out
form SC-107 (Small Claims Subpoena) and have it served on
the witness.
Prove this is the wrong court. Send a letter to the court
before your trial explaining why you think this is the wrong court.
Ask the court to dismiss the claim. You must serve (give) a copy
of your letter (by mail or in person) to all parties. (Your letter to
the court must say you have done so.)
What if I need more time?
You can change the trial date if:
You cannot go to court on the scheduled date (you will have to
pay a fee to postpone the trial), or
You need more time to get an interpreter. One postponement is
allowed, and you will not have to pay a fee to delay the trial.
You did not get served (receive this order to go to court) at least
15 days before the trial (or 20 days if you live outside the
county), or
Ask the Small Claims Clerk about the rules and fees for
postponing a trial. Or fill out form SC-150 (or write a letter) and
mail it to the court and to all other people listed on your court
papers before the deadline. Enclose a check for your court fees,
unless a fee waiver was granted.
Need help?
Your county’s Small Claims Advisor can help for free.
Or go to
Do I need a lawyer? You may talk to a lawyer before or after
the case. But you may not have a lawyer represent you in court
(unless this is an appeal from a small claims case).
What if I lose the case? If you lose, you may appeal. You’ll
have to pay a fee. (Plaintiffs cannot appeal their own claims.)
What happens at the trial? The judge will listen to both
sides. The judge may make a decision at your trial or mail the
decision to you later.
Where can I get the court forms I need? Go to any
courthouse or your county law library, or print forms at www.
What if I need an accommodation? If you have a
disability or are hearing impaired, fill out form MC-410, Request for
Accommodations. Give the form to your court clerk or the ADA/
Access Coordinator.
What if I don’t speak English well? Ask the court clerk
as soon as possible if your court has a court-provided interpreter
available and how to request one. A court-provided interpreter may
not be available. Alternatively, you may bring an adult who is not a
witness or an attorney to interpret for you or ask the court for a list
of interpreters for hire.
* Exceptions: Different limits apply in an action against a defendant who is a guarantor. (See Code Civ. Proc., § 116.220(c).)
Revised January 1, 2017 SC-100, Page 4 of 5
Plaintiff’s Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court
(Small Claims)
¿Qué pasa si pierdo el caso? Si pierde, puede apelar. Tendrá que
pagar una cuota. (El Demandante no puede apelar su propio reclamo.)
Reclamo del Demandante y ORDEN
Para Ir a la Corte de Reclamos Menores
(Reclamos Menores)
Información para el demandado (la persona demandada)
Revised January 1, 2017 SC-100, Page 5 of 5
La “Corte de reclamos menores” es una corte especial donde se
deciden casos por $10,000 o menos. Los individuos, o sea las
“personas físicas” y los propietarios por cuenta propia, pueden
reclamar hasta $10,000. Las corporaciones, asociaciones, entidades
públicas y otras empresas solo pueden reclamar hasta $5,000. (Vea
abajo para las excepciones.*) El proceso es rápido y barato. Las
reglas son sencillas e informales. Usted es el Demandado—la
persona que se está demandando. La persona que lo está
demandando es el Demandante.
Si estuvo presente en el juicio, llene el formulario SC-140, Aviso de
apelación (Notice of Appeal). Tiene que presentarlo dentro de 30
días después de que el secretario le entregue o envíe la decisión
(fallo) del juez en el formulario SC-200 o SC-130, Aviso de
publicación del fallo (Notice of Entry of Judgment).
Si no estuvo en el juicio, llene y presente el formulario SC-135,
Aviso de petición para anular el fallo y Declaración para pedirle al
juez que anule el fallo (decisión). Si la corte no le otorga un nuevo
juicio, tiene 10 días para apelar la decisión. Presente el formulario
Para obtener más información sobre las apelaciones, vea www.
¿Tengo otras opciones? Sí. Si lo están demandando, puede:
Resolver su caso antes del juicio. Si usted y el Demandante se
ponen de acuerdo en cómo resolver el caso, el Demandante tiene
que presentar el formulario CIV-110, Solicitud de desestimación
(Request for Dismissal) ante el secretario de la corte. Pídale al
Asesor de Reclamos Menores que lo ayude.
No ir al juicio y aceptar el fallo por falta de comparecencia. Si
no llega a un acuerdo con el Demandante y no va al juicio (fallo
por falta de comparecencia), el juez le puede otorgar al
Demandante lo que está reclamando más los costos de la corte.
En ese caso, el Demandante legalmente puede tomar su dinero,
su sueldo o sus bienes para cobrar el fallo.
Aeptar el reclamo del Demandante y pagar el dinero. O, si no
puede pagar en ese momento, vaya al juicio y diga que quiere
hacer los pagos.
Demandar a la persona que lo demandó. Si tiene un reclamo
contra el Demandante, y el reclamo se puede presentar en la
corte de reclamos menores, tal como se describe en este
formulario, puede presentar el formulario SC-120, Reclamo del
demandado (Defendant’s Claim) y presentarlo en este mismo
caso. Si su reclamo excede el límite permitido en la corte de
reclamos menores, puede igualmente presentarlo en la corte de
reclamos menores si está dispuesto a limitar su reclamo al
máximo permitido, o puede presentar un reclamo por el monto
total en la corte apropiada. Si su reclamo excede el límite
permitido en la corte de reclamos menores y está relacionado con
el mismo contrato, transacción, asunto o acontecimiento que el
reclamo del Demandante, puede presentar su reclamo en la corte
apropiada y presentar una moción para transferir el reclamo del
Demandante a dicha corte, para poder resolver los dos reclamos
juntos. Puede ver una descripción de los montos permitidos en el
párrafo anterior titulado “Corte de reclamos menores”.
Ir al juicio y tratar de ganar el caso. Lleve testigos, recibos y
cualquier prueba que necesite para probar su caso. Si desea que
la corte emita una orden de comparecencia para que los testigos
vayan al juicio, llene el formulario SC-107, Citatorio de reclamos
menores (Small Claims Subpoena) y entrégueselo legalmente al
Probar que es la corte equivocada. Envíe una carta a la corte
antes del juicio explicando por qué cree que es la corte
equivocada. Pídale a la corte que despida el reclamo.Tiene que
entregar (dar) una copia de su carta (por correo o en persona) a
todas las partes. (Su carta a la corte tiene que decir que hizo la
¿Qué hago si necesito más tiempo? Puede cambiar la fecha del
juicio si:
• No puede ir a la corte en la fecha programada (tendrá que pagar
una cuota para aplazar el juicio), o
• No le entregaron los documentos legalmente (no recibió la orden
para ir a la corte) por lo menos 15 días antes del juicio (ó 20 días
si vive fuera del condado), o
• Necesita más tiempo para conseguir intérprete. (Se permite un
solo aplazamiento sin tener que pagar cuota para aplazar el
Pregúntele al secretario de reclamos menores sobre las reglas y las
cuotas para aplazar un juicio. O llene el formulario SC-150 (o escriba
una carta) y envíelo antes del plazo a la corte y a todas las otras
personas que figuran en sus papeles de la corte. Adjunte un cheque
para pagar los costos de la corte, a menos que le hayan dado una
¿Necesita ayuda? El Asesor de Reclamos Menores de su
condado le puede ayudar sin cargo.
O visite
¿Necesito un abogado? Puede hablar con un abogado antes o
después del caso. Pero no puede tener a un abogado que lo
represente ante la corte (a menos que se trate de una apelación de un
caso de reclamos menores).
¿Cómo me preparo para ir a la corte? No tiene que presentar
ningunos papeles antes del juicio, a menos que piense que ésta es la
corte equivocada para su caso. Pero lleve al juicio cualquier testigos,
recibos y pruebas que apoyan su caso. Y lea “Esté preparado para su
juicio” en
¿Qué hago si necesito una adaptación? Si tiene una discapacidad
o tiene impedimentos de audición, llene el formulario MC-410,
Request for Accomodations. Entregue el formulario al secretario de la
corte o al Coordinador de Acceso/ADA de su corte.
¿Dónde puedo obtener los formularios de la corte que necesito?
Vaya a cualquier edificio de la corte, la biblioteca legal de su condado,
o imprima los formularios en smallclaims/forms
(página está en inglés).
¿Qué pasa en el juicio? El juez escuchará a ambas partes. El juez
puede tomar su decisión durante la audiencia o enviársela por correo
¿Qué pasa si no hablo bien inglés? Pregúntele al secretario de la
corte lo más pronto posible si en el juzgado habrá un intérprete
disponible y cómo solicitarlo. No siempre están disponibles los
intérpretes de la corte. Otra opción es llevar a un adulto que pueda
interpretar para usted siempre que esa persona no sea un testigo ni
un abogado. O puede pedir a la corte una lista de intérpretes
particulares disponibles para contratar.
* Excepciones: Existen diferentes límites en un reclamo contra un garante. (Vea el Código de Procedimiento Civil, sección 116.220 (c).)
Print this form
Save this form
Clear this form
For your protection and privacy, please press the Clear
This Form button after you have printed the form.

Navigation menu