User Manual: Pdf

Open the PDF directly: View PDF PDF.
Page Count: 47

DownloadBUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK Guide Recreational Marijuana
Open PDF In BrowserView PDF
Business Readiness Guidebook
for OLCC Marijuana Operations

Page | 1

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

This document is intended for establishing OLCC licensed marijuana businesses. Businesses that follow
the guidance in this book will be better prepared to establish legal operations in Oregon and comply
with state and local laws. This guidebook provides information outside of the OLCC rules and
regulations for licensed facilities. Please visit for a copy of those rules.
Please note: The Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP) and the Medical Marijuana
Dispensary Program are both administered by the Oregon Health Authority’s Public Health
Reach out to the OHA directly with your questions:
OMMP (questions related to patients, growers or caregivers): 971-673-1234
Dispensary Program (questions regarding medical dispensaries or processors): 855-244-9580

Who We Are
The content* of this guidebook was provided by the following Oregon agencies:
Office of the Governor
Oregon State Parks

Oregon Water Resources

Oregon Health Authority
Department of State Lands
Oregon Department of
Bureau of Labor and

Department of Land
Conservation and

Oregon Employment
Energy Trust of Oregon

Oregon Secretary of State

Oregon Department of

Oregon Liquor Control

Oregon Department of

Oregon Department of

Department of Public Safety
Standards and Training

Business Oregon
Department of
Environmental Quality
Department of Consumer
and Business Services

* As the OLCC marijuana program evolves the content and contributors will be updated. It is the
responsibility of potential licensees to stay abreast and comply with all laws related to their business.
Special thanks to the IRAC Recreational Marijuana Regulations workgroup who created a similar
document applicable to Washington state entities.
Their document can be found at
Page | 2

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Agency Contact Information
Navigating through the regulatory framework can be complicated. Although government agencies are
unable to give legal advice on business decisions, you may contact agencies directly to receive further
clarification on a specific section or topic:
Office of the Governor:
Oregon Health Authority:
Oregon Department of Agriculture:
Bureau of Labor and Industries:
Business Oregon:
Department of Environmental Quality:
Department of Consumer and Business Services:
Oregon State Parks:
Department of State Lands:
Department of Land Conservation and Development:
Oregon Secretary of State:
Oregon Liquor Control Commission:
Oregon Department of Energy:
Oregon Water Resources Department:
Oregon Employment Department:
Energy Trust of Oregon:
Oregon Department of Revenue:
Oregon Department of Forestry:
Oregon Healthcare:
Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Administration:
Oregon Building Codes Division:
Department of Public Safety and Training:

Visit the Below Websites to find Local Government Contacts:
Chambers of Commerce:
Community Development Organizations:

Additional Resources:
League of Oregon Cities:
Association of Oregon Counties:

Page | 3

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

SECTION 1: Know Your Business License Types
Page 6
Page 6

OLCC Licenses
Application Submittal Overview

SECTION 2: Beginning Your Business
Developing a Business Plan
Secretary of State Business Number
Employment Law
Land Use Planning & Zoning Compliance
Local Codes: Building codes & Working with Contractors

Page 7
Page 8
Page 8
Page 9
Page 12

SECTION 3: Safety First
Page 14
Page 16

Workplace Safety & Health
Workers’ Compensation Insurance

SECTION 4: Operating Your Business
Oregon’s Recreational Marijuana Tax
Weights & Measures
Pesticides Use
Plant Health & Insect Pest Prevention/Management
Fire Season Requirements
Marijuana Worker Permits
Private Security Services
Food Safety Licenses
Packaging & Labeling Pre-Approval
Tobacco and Inhalant Delivery Systems Sales to Minors
Oregon’s Bottle Bill
Air Emissions & Waste Management
Agricultural Water Quality
Water Rights
Withholding & Transit Taxes
Liability & Property Insurance
Unemployment Insurance
Employee Classification
Health Insurance for You & Your Employees
Office of Minority, Women, & Emerging Small Business
Energy Use

Page | 4

Page 17
Page 21
Page 24
Page 25
Page 25
Page 26
Page 26
Page 27
Page 28
Page 28
Page 29
Page 30
Page 34
Page 34
Page 36
Page 37
Page 38
Page 38
Page 39
Page 40
Page 40

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Eligibility Reminder
Is your city or county
located on the OLCC
Opt-Out list?
If so, you may not be eligible
for a license.
Oregon law grants cities and counties the opportunity to prohibit marijuana
producers, processors, wholesalers, and/or retailers in their jurisdiction.
Local governments are required to refer ordinances banning recreational marijuana to
voters at the next general election.*

For the complete opt-out list visit:

*Prior to December 27, 2015, cities and counties could implement local bans without placing the
ordinance on the next general election if 55 percent or more of the voters in their jurisdiction voted
against Measure 91. However the ordinance must have been adopted by December 27, 2015.
Interested in seeing how your county voted on Measure 91? See the results from the Oregon Secretary of
State website at

Potential licensees should ensure they are compliant with all other local regulations, including but not
limited to obtaining proper permits associated with operating their business. It is advised to begin
working with your local governing bodies prior to submitting your OLCC application.

Page | 5

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

OLCC Licenses

Application Submittal Overview
Applications are available online at
Be prepared to present the following items in your application:


Business details: company
name, physical and mailing
address, Secretary of State
Funding sources: interested
parties and legal entities
Land Use Compatibility
Statement (LUCS)


Business Operating plan
Floor plan of proposed facility
Proof of right to occupy the premises
Other documentation depending on
license type. See OLCC forms available
at for
more info.

Applicants must pay a $250 non-refundable application fee at the time of submittal.

Page | 6

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Photos from top to bottom: Farm Photo by The View from Fez, Suzanna Clarke or Sandy McCutcheon; Edibles by The World's Best Ever: Design, Fashion, Art, Music, Photography, Lifestyle, Entertainment; Lab by

Ability to plant, cultivate, grow, harvest, and dry marijuana.
Ability to process, compound, or convert marijuana or hemp into cannabinoid
products, concentrates, and/or extracts.
Can purchase quantities of marijuana from other licensed facilities and sell the
products to licensed retailers, processors, producers, other wholesalers, or
research certificate holders. Can purchase hemp from licensed processors and
sell hemp items to licensed retailers, processors, and other wholesalers.
Accredited by ORELAP and responsible for testing marijuana items for
pesticides, solvents or residual solvents, tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol
concentration, and for microbiological or other contaminants.
Can sell or deliver marijuana or hemp items directly to consumers.
Research Certificate:
Ability to research marijuana for the purpose of benefiting the state’s cannabis
industry, medical research, or public health and safety.

Developing a Business Plan
Oregon is a place where entrepreneurs are building diverse industries. Business Oregon networks with
many organizations to help entrepreneurs find resources and access services helpful to starting a business
in Oregon.
Step 1 - Research and Planning:
Your first step in starting a business in Oregon begins with researching and preparing a business plan.
Contact Oregon’s professional associations and guilds if you need assistance.
Professional service organizations can help navigate the registration process, create a business plan, and
assist with other tasks related to start-ups.
Step 2 – Setup:
Business registration, business tax numbers, insurance, permits & licensing, hiring, and employer
obligations. Find information, checklists, and forms for every step at the Business Portal at
Step 3 - Find Financing:
At this time, Business Oregon is not able to provide financial services to businesses engaged in the
possession, manufacture, or sale of marijuana.
Oregon and out-of-state residents may invest in marijuana businesses. For more information review
OLCC rules for “financial interest” and applicant qualifications at
Step 4 - Grow Your Business:
Are you ready to take your business to the next level? Participate in the Grow Oregon program at to experience sustained growth.

Visit Business Oregon’s “How We Can Help” webpage at for a full description of programs and services offered.

Page | 7

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Secretary of State Business Number
All businesses in the State of Oregon are required to register with the Secretary of
State to obtain a business number. This number will be requested on the OLCC
marijuana application.
For more information on how to obtain a Secretary of State Business number visit
the Secretary of State website at

Not sure where to begin? The Secretary of State’s Business Xpress website has detailed information on how
to get your business up and running. Visit

Employment Law
Oregon’s Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) works to protect employment rights.
All businesses in the State of Oregon must comply with BOLI’s regulations. Do your
research early and familiarize yourself with BOLI laws to safeguard yourself and your
Employment Law handbooks: Bureau of Labor and Industries’ (BOLI) affordable
handbooks for employers can be an invaluable resource on topics such as Wage and
Hour Laws, Civil Right Protections, Leave Laws, Legal Hiring Practices, and Discipline
and Discharge.
Employment Law Hotline: Compliance experts can field questions about a wage and
civil rights issues at no cost at 971-673-0824. All calls are confidential.
Employment and compliance seminars: How should businesses deal with difficult
employees? What do start-ups need to know about wage and hour laws? What’s the
latest on paid sick time and other leave laws? How should HR professionals identify
and address harassment and other civil rights issues? BOLI offers more than 100 low cost seminars each year focused on what your business needs to know. Visit: for more information.

Stay up to speed on
consumption laws by
http://whatslegalore and make
sure your employees
do the same.

Employers can order employer handbooks, download free compliance posters, or
order low-cost bilingual composites at:

Page | 8

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Directions Image by - CC BY

Land Use Planning & Zoning Compliance
Depending on license type, different zoning restrictions may apply, however no
OLCC marijuana licensed facility…


May be on federal property.
May be at the same physical location or address as a liquor licensee
licensed under ORS Chapter 471 or as a retail liquor agent appointed by
the Commission.
May be at the same physical location or address as a medical marijuana
processing site registered with the OHA.
May be at the same physical location or address as a medical marijuana
dispensary registered with the OHA.
With the exception of the producer license, may be in an area that is
zoned exclusively for residential use.

If you are a producer:


You may not be located at the same physical location or address as a
medical marijuana grow site registered with the OHA, unless the grow
site is also licensed under ORS 475B.080.
May not be located on public land.

If you are a retailer:

Except as provided in ORS 475B.109, the proposed licensed premises of
a retail applicant may not be located within 1,000 feet of:
o A public elementary or secondary school for which attendance
is compulsory under ORS 339.020; or
o A private or parochial elementary or secondary school, teaching
children as described in ORS 339.030.

All licensed premises
are to be located in
Oregon. Importing or
exporting marijuana
items into or from the
state is a local and
federal offense.

Visit the Oregon Legislature website to review complete statutes (ORS) at

Cities and counties have the ability to adopt ordinances imposing reasonable regulations on the
operation of businesses located within their jurisdiction. Be sure to contact your local
government to ensure you are in compliance with their local laws.

Page | 9

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Consistency with local land use planning and zoning is probably the first
consideration that potential applicants should investigate.
Prior to acting on an application the OLCC:
Must receive a land use compatibility statement (LUCS) from the city or county
that authorizes land use in the city or county in which the applicant’s proposed
premises is located.*
OLCC’s land use compatibility form is available at Work
with your local government directly to ensure all information is correct prior to
*A LUCS is not required for those that meet all qualifications as indicated in 845-0251090, (3) of OLCC rule.

Marijuana facilities
may be allowed in
certain zones, and
may not be allowed
in other zones. This
may differ from city
to county and from
one local jurisdiction
to another.

The best way to ensure compatibility with local comprehensive planning and zoning
is to contact your local planning department before you apply for a license, or if you
are considering the purchase of land, before you make that purchase.

Except for counties
that adopt local
operations, the
production of
marijuana may be
licensed by the OLCC
in any EFU zone.

Page | 10

What about Exclusive Farm Use (EFU) Zones? ORS 475B.370 states that
marijuana is a crop for the purposes of farm use, defined in ORS 215.203,
and is permitted in Exclusive Farm Use (EFU) zones.
Farm use includes both the preparation of the farm product, such as drying,
packaging or labeling, and wholesaling of the unprocessed farm product.
However, a variety of other uses that may be proposed in conjunction with
farm use require local land use approvals, and some of these uses are
specifically prohibited by HB 3400 if in conjunction with a marijuana crop.

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

The following table identifies all of the farm-related uses that are allowed
under state law in EFU zones when in conjunction with a marijuana crop:



County Zones That Allow Marijuana-related Uses under State Law
EFU Zone
Forest or Mixed
Other Zones
Farm/Forest Zone
Farm Use
County discretion in
County discretion in
Agricultural Building
local zoning
local zoning
On-farm preparation (i.e. drying,
bulk/wholesale packaging)
On-farm Processing
Farm Use

Counties have the discretion whether or not to allow marijuana-related uses in
zones other than EFU, however, these standards must be adopted into local
zoning codes.


Photos from top to bottom: Crops by Unknown; Farm by Wally - CC BY

Marijuana-related uses that are specifically prohibited in EFU zones by ORS
475B include:
Farm stands
Commercial activities in conjunction with a marijuana crop
New dwellings
o New dwellings not allowed if used in conjunction with a
marijuana crop include primary farm dwellings, accessory farm
dwellings, and relative farm help dwellings.

Agricultural buildings (ORS 215.213(1)(e) or 215.283(1)(e)) and on-farm,
smaller-scale processing (ORS 215.213(1)(u), or 215.283(1)(r)) in EFU zones
require local land use approvals.
Virtually all authorized retail sales opportunities will be in non-resource zones.
Marijuana production in non-resource zones, especially in cities, may be required
by local governments to be within buildings in industrial zones.
The most direct path for any license type is to first gain local land use approval
for the proposed land use:


Page | 11

If the local planning office indicates on the LUCS form that the proposed
use has been approved or is allowed in the applicable zone, then the
application may move forward.
If the local planning office indicates the proposed use has been denied or
is not allowed in the applicable zone, then the license will not be issued.

LUCS approval does not
bypass additional
documentation that may
be required by the local
planning office. Verify all
other permits have been
acquired with the local
planning office for the
proposed land.

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Local Codes: Building codes & working with contractors
Cities and counties may require registration or licensing for individuals and firms conducting
business within their jurisdiction.

It is recommended to begin a relationship with your local
government prior to applying for a license. Consult your local
county and city officials to learn about the requirements in
your area.

Building Codes

Obtain all required building permits: Whether for new construction or remodeling of existing
buildings, local governments administer Oregon building codes and issue permits. Building
code requirements are determined by the structure’s “primary use” which may i nclude
production/growing, processing, storage, or sale of marijuana. Check with your local building
department to determine any required permits for a marijuana operation.
Here are a few examples (not all inclusive) of when permits may be required:

Page | 12

Installing new equipment
Moving or adding walls
Adding counter or display cases
Removing building improvements
Remodeling various spaces
Modifying electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire alarms, fire sprinklers, heating,
ventilation, air conditioning, and other systems
Installing new signage or parking facilities

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Working with Contractors
Work with licensed contractors: If you hire a contractor to perform construction
work, ensure that the individual or business holds an active license to work in Oregon.
The Building Codes Division issues licenses to four types of trade contractors:
electrical, elevator, plumbing, and boiler.
Every trade contractor, must also possess an active building contractor license issued
by the Construction Contractors Board (CCB).
Check the status of both licenses by visiting the CCB website at or
the BCD website at

Obtain all required inspections: During construction, work with your contractor and
local building official to identify and schedule any required inspections.

Be sure to keep
copies of all permits
and inspections for
your records.

Depending on the project, multiple inspections may be necessary. Obtaining all
required inspections before you occupy the structure will assure you that the work is
meeting the safety requirements established in the building code.
When the work is up to code, the inspector will approve it and the local building
department will issue a Certificate of Occupancy.

Maintain relationships with local officials: The local fire marshal or chief is the
authority on meeting building and fire code requirements once you occupy the
Establish a positive working relationship with both local building officials and the fire
department by ensuring they are aware of the marijuana business or operation, and
apprise them of any alterations to the building after the business begins operations.
The above section was provided by the Oregon Building Codes Division, a division of the
Department of Consumer and Business Services.

Page | 13

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Workplace Safety & Health
The section below was provided by Oregon OSHA, a division of the Department of
Consumer and Business Services.
The Oregon Safe Employment Act requires employers to provide their workers wi th a
safe and healthful workplace. Requirements include: training employees and taking
steps to prevent any injury or illness to employees during their day-to-day activities
(e.g., using ventilation to minimize flammable atmospheres and providing personal
protective equipment for use during pesticide handling).
Most employers must follow a basic set of rules. Other regulations may apply based
on specific business hazards.

Find detailed OSHA
regulations here:

Businesses that grow marijuana are mainly subject to Division 4, which applies to most
agricultural employers.
Some potential hazards to look for during growing:

Pesticide exposure
Chemical and fertilizer use
Heat exposure
Air enrichment contaminants such as carbon dioxide and others like carbon
monoxide, and nitrogen oxides if using burners/combustion
Electrical hazards from improper wiring
Sprains and strains (esp. hand intensive work during trimming)
Slips, trips, and falls (from presence of water or poor housekeeping)
Exposure to machine hazards (cuts, nips, pinches, or crushes depending on
Material handling equipment (e.g. forklifts)

Processors that perform extractions are responsible for providing safety data sheets
(formerly known as material safety data sheets) for the chemical extract that they
produce (Oregon OSHA Rules Division 2, Subdivision Z).

Page | 14

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Symbol by Anne Sherod - CC BY

Some potential hazards to look for during processing:

Use of flammable compressed gases and solvents:
o Fire
o Compressed gas cylinder and extraction equipment safety
Air contaminant hazards (e.g. carbon dioxide if dry ice used to extract)
Chemical and extract products handling
Machine hazards associated with extraction and waste processing equipment
Noise (e.g. compressors for carbon dioxide extraction equipment)


Burns and scalds (from work with ovens/stoves)
Slips, trips, and falls (from presence of water or poor housekeeping)
Heat exposure
Cuts from knives
Machine hazards (e.g. cuts and amputations) from food processing equipment
Chemical use (e.g. sanitizers like bleach)
Sprains and strains (from material handling)

Packaging and Labeling Hazards

Sprains and strains (from material handling, repetitive work)
Machine hazards
Material handling equipment (e.g. pallet jacks)

Some potential hazards to look for at retail stores:

Sprains and strains (from material handling)
Slips, trips, and falls (from poor housekeeping)
Workplace violence/crime

Oregon OSHA has some overlap with areas covered by Oregon Department of
Agriculture and the local Fire Marshal. The role that Oregon OSHA plays in regard to
pesticides is enforcement of protecting worker health and safety, with a particular
focus on the pesticide worker protection standard (Oregon OSHA Rules Division 4,
Subdivision W). Oregon OSHA also addresses fire safety, but will defer to the
decisions of the local Fire Marshal if a question arises where both agencies have codes
that address the same hazard. Refer to Section 4 for more information regarding

Page | 15

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Oregon OSHA Contacts
Technical Experts:
Phone: 503-378-3272 (V/TTY) or 800-922-2689
Worksite Consultations and Evaluations:
Phone: 503-378-3272 (V/TTY) or 800-922-2689
Find More Information:

Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Section provided by the Office of the Small Business Ombudsman for Workers’ Compensation,
a program of the Department of Consumer and Business Services.
Workers’ compensation insurance provides benefits to workers who are injured on the job.
Injured workers receive medical treatment and disability benefits if they are off the job due to
their injury. The insurance also provides employers important legal protections.
If you employ workers, you must buy a workers’ compensation insurance policy or be
authorized to self-insure by the Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS).
If you are a business that has employees and you do not have workers’ compensation
insurance, you may be subject to civil penalties. Worse yet, if an employee gets hurt on the
job, your business will be responsible for all claims costs plus administration fees. The costs
add up and can severely affect your business.
Because the OLCC marijuana program is a new in Oregon, there may not be many companies
offering workers’ compensation coverage in the commercial market. However, if you are
denied coverage one time, you can apply to the Oregon Workers' Compensation Insurance
Plan or commonly known as the assigned risk plan.
You can apply directly to the assigned risk plan by calling the National Council on
Compensation Insurance at 800-622-4123 (toll-free) or you can work with your insurance
agent. For more information, visit the Small Business Ombudsman for Workers’
Compensation website:
Small Business Ombudsman for Workers’ Compensation Contact Info
Email: or Call: 503-378-4209
Page | 16

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Oregon’s Recreational Marijuana Tax
The retail tax on recreational marijuana sold in OLCC licensed retailers will be between 17-20%.
There is no set date for when this tax goes into effect. It's based on when the re tailer's license
becomes active.
The state tax rate is 17%; however, cities and counties can adopt an ordinance imposing an
additional tax of up to 3%. These ordinances must be put on the ballot for the next general
Filing a return
Marijuana tax returns are due quarterly. A separate return is required for each location selling
recreational marijuana products. Your monthly payment vouchers do not replace your
quarterly return.
You must file a return even if there were not any taxable sales in the reporting period.
If you sold recreational marijuana as a medical marijuana dispensary under early start, you may
need to file two returns. For example:


Page | 17

If your final day of sales as a medical marijuana dispensary was September 30, 2016
and your Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) license took effect on October 1,
2016, you should file your first retail tax return for fourth quarter on Revenue Online.
If your final day of sales as a medical marijuana dispensary was December 31, 2016,
and your OLCC license took effect on January 1, 2017, you should file your first retail
tax return for first quarter 2017 on Revenue Online.

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

For all businesses transitioning from being OHA registered medical dispensary to an OLCC
licensed retailer, you’ll be required to file two returns for the fourth quarter:
1. One on paper for the 25-percent tax rate, and
2. One on Revenue Online for the 17-percent rate.
You'll want to keep detailed sales records to know when your tax rate changed.
Business identification number (BIN)
Your BIN is a unique identification number issued by the Department of Revenue. This is
not your Social Security number or federal employer identification number (FEIN). Your
return will be rejected if you don’t enter the correct BIN.
You must have a separate BIN and file separate returns for each location where
recreational products are sold.

Submit your return
OLCC Licensed Retailers: Can only submit your return electronically through Revenue
Online at
OHA Medical Dispensaries: Can only submit your return on paper. Mail your completed
return to:
Oregon Department of Revenue
PO Box 14630
Salem OR 97309-5050

For more information contact
the Department of Revenue at
503-947-2597 or at

Late filing and payment
Penalty and interest are imposed if you mail your return or pay the tax after the due date.
The penalty is 5 percent of the unpaid tax. If you file your return more than 30 days after
the due date, DOR will impose an additional penalty of 20 percent of the tax due. Interest
is imposed on any unpaid tax from the due date until the date payment in full is received.
The current interest rate is 4 percent annually.

Page | 18

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

You must collect the marijuana tax at the point of sale for recreational marijuana and remit it to
the Department of Revenue. Taxes are due to the Department of Revenue by the last day of the
month following the month in which it was collected.
For a list of all payment and return deadlines visit:
If the due date falls on a weekend or holiday, payment is due no later than the next business day.
Make checks payable to Oregon Department of Revenue. Please include a completed voucher
with your payment. Vouchers are available on the department’s website at
Mail the voucher and payment to:
Oregon Marijuana Tax
Oregon Department of Revenue
PO Box 14630
Salem OR 97309-0505
To pay by cash you need to call (503) 945-8050 for an appointment at least 48 hours in advance.
Bring a completed voucher with your payment to your appointment. Visit Revenue Online at to pay by credit card or ACH debit.
For more information on the marijuana tax program, visit

Page | 19

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

OLCC licensed businesses selling recreational marijuana need to submit an Oregon Marijuana Tax
Registration form.
Businesses can use their OLCC license number as an ID number once they've registered.
If you have more than one place of business selling recreational marijuana in Oregon, complete a
separate Oregon Marijuana Tax Registration form for each location.
Registration forms are available at



If you have employees, check the “Yes” box.
o Corporate officers are considered employees, including those i n subchapter “S”
Individuals or firms with employees need to file a Combined Employer’s Registration
form if you have not already done so.

Note: The definition of “employee” differs among Oregon state agencies. If you have questions,
refer to the Secretary of State’s Oregon Business Guide or call the appropriate agency.
Additional owner/officer information
List information on additional owners, officers, partners, etc., on a separate sheet and attach it to
the registration form.

Other taxes
As a business, you can file a corporate income or excise tax return. For more information on
these returns, including guidance on which one to file, visit
Business income may also change how you file your personal income tax return. Find out how it
affects you, along with information about subtractions and deductions available in Oregon for
recreational marijuana retailers at

Page | 20

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Weights & Measures
Scale Requirements
Products offered for sale by weight in the State of Oregon must be weighed on an
Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) licensed commercial scale. You will need
a commercial scale if you:

Use the scale to sell directly to a buyer.
Use the scale to determine the net weight of a packaged product.
Use the scale to buy from a seller.
Use the scale to record data for entry into OLCC’s Cannabis Tracking
System (CTS).

Scales used solely for process or quality control may not need to be licensed, for


A scale used solely to ensure that a consistent quantities of ingredients
are used to produce edible products would be considered to be a process
control tool and would not need to be licensed; However
A scale used to determine the net weight of a packaged product offered
for sale is, however, considered a commercial scale and would need to be
licensed by ODA
Scale Suitability

A commercial scale must be suited for its intended application before it can be
licensed by ODA.
There are many factors to be considered when assessing suitability, however the
fundamental requirement is that the scale have an adequate resolution so that
round off errors are kept to a reasonably low level when weighing products in

A scale used to ensure a
consistent fill of packages
may not need to be
licensed if the net weights
of those packages are
verified on a licensed
commercial scale.
Questions about specific
uses and licensing
requirements may be
directed to ODA’s Weights
and Measures program.

To be suitable, a small scale should be able to display at least 100 divisions when a
“typical” net load is placed on it. This requirement limits the errors associated
with weighing to about 1 part in 100 or 1%. The net load excludes any containers,
bowls, jars, etc. used to contain the cannabis while weighing it.

Page | 21


A scale with 0.01 g ( 0.00[1] g ) resolution is needed to routinely weigh a few grams of cannabis.
A scale with 0.1 g ( 0.0[1] g ) resolution would be suitable to routinely weight 10 grams or about ½
A scale with 0.01 lb resolution would be suitable to routinely weight a pound or more.
BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Marijuana Scale by Laura Monte - CC BY

Bracketed Divisions
Higher accuracy scales often incorporate a bracketed division in the scale’s display. This
bracketed division is in fact ignored when making suitability decisions as accuracy
requirements are not defined for it. This is why this digit is displayed as distinct from all of the
other digits on the display.
A scale reading 0.0[1] g actually has an accuracy tolerance of only 0.1 g for small loads in spite
of the displayed resolution and so cannot be expected to perform any better. Reading the
bracketed division is similar to estimating length measurements between individual divisions
on a ruler. It is just an estimate as to where the displayed weight falls between two adjacent
divisions and may actually be in error by 5 or more divisions, even though the scale is
operating correctly.

Licensing a Scale
ODA requires that all commercial scales have a valid National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP)
Certificate of Conformance (CC), in addition to the suitability requirements, as condition of
licensing. NTEP scales are required to have a data plate indicating its certificate of
conformance number. The number has the format 00-000. If the data plate is missing then
the scale cannot be licensed.
Licensing a suitable NTEP certified commercial scale requires three steps:
1. Complete and return the ODA scale license application, and
2. Complete and return the ODA placed in service report form, and
3. Payment of the annual license fee.
Both forms are available on the ODA website. It will take approximately two weeks beginning
with receipt of payment by ODA before your license will arrive. Your scale is licensed when
the two forms are returned to ODA and payment of the annual li cense fee is processed by
Retain copies of the applications and your receipt as evidence of licensing until the physical
license arrives. When you receive the physical license it is to be posted in plain view.

Page | 22

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Annual Inspections
Your Weights and Measures inspector will be notified so that an initial evaluation of the
scale can be scheduled once your scale license application is processed.
You can help ensure that this evaluation will go smoothly by doing the following:




Have the scale properly calibrated.
o A set of calibrated mass standards will be required to complete a
calibration of the scale. You may purchase these standards or you may
contract a scale service firm to complete the calibration for you.
All commercial scales must be metrologically sealed.
o Your scale should ship with the necessary hardware and instructions for
sealing. It may not, however, include an actual physical seal if one is
required (some scales are sealed electronically). The physical seal itself
may be a pressure sensitive seal or a lead and wire seal designed to
restrict access to the calibration function of the scale.

It is unlawful to
operate a scale
commercially that is
not properly sealed.
If a scale service company handles the calibration for you make sure to
The physical seal must
verify that the physical seal is intact and to retain receipts for the service be installed such that
provided. These two items serve as evidence that your scale has been
accessing the
properly adjusted.
calibration function of
the scale is impossible
Make sure the scale is installed on a stable surface and that it is properly leveled
without destroying the
before use.
o You may additionally need to include a draft shield around high
sensitivity scales to help ensure that your scale adequately protected
from the environment to enable accurate repeatable measurements. A
scale should be able to display a stable measurement within
approximately 30 seconds time and should remain stable long enough
for all parties to view and agree upon the result.
If the scale is used for direct retail sales be sure to install it so that your
customers can witness the entire weighing process from the normal customer
position in the store. The customer must be able to see the scale indication.
Take care of your scale. Keep it clean, free of debris, and level.

Your inspector will attempt to complete an initial inspection of your scale within approximately 30 days of
receiving your license information. The inspector will verify that the scale has an NTEP CC number, that it
is suitable for the application, that it is correctly placed, and that it is accurate to within the required
tolerances. After the initial inspection Weights and Measures will conduct follow up inspections annually.
For more information visit the ODA Weights and Measures Program website:

Page | 23

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Pesticides Use
The Oregon Department of Agriculture regulates the sale, use, and distribution of pesticide products in
Oregon. ODA relies on the federal framework the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act
(FIFRA), as well as state statutes, and enforces the product label as the law.
Currently, there are no registered pesticide products in Oregon that are specifically labeled for use on
marijuana. However, ODA has established criteria and a list of pesticide products to help guide marijuana
growers and pesticide applicators throughout the state. The guide list contains over 300 pesticide products
and is available on ODA’s cannabis and pesticides webpage . The intent of the criteria is to assist growers in
distinguishing those pesticide products with labels that do not legally prohibit use on cannabis from those
that clearly do not allow use.
Use of a pesticide on cannabis is allowed if it is intended for unspecified food products, is exem pt from a
tolerance, and is considered low risk.
Those involved in using pesticides for cannabis production should consult the guide list, follow the product
label, and use that product according to its directions. All other products used would be conside red illegal
and, if laboratory testing found the presence of these pesticide residues, it could be considered a violation
of the Oregon Pesticide Law.
The guide list will be updated on the ODA webpage as needed. Growers and pesticide applicators are
encouraged to check the guide list frequently.
For more information, contact Sunny Jones at (503) 986-4565
Pesticides Information:
ODA Cannabis website:

Page | 24

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Plant Health & Insect Pest Prevention/Management
Like all other agricultural crops, cannabis is vulnerable to pests and disease. The Oregon Department of
Agriculture can help growers identify plant pests and diseases. The identification service may require a
Plant Health website:
Insect Pest Prevention and Management website:

Fire Season Requirements
The last thing you need when growing your crop is a fire. While it’s a good idea to be fire safe
throughout the year, there are certain rules that must be followed when fire season goes into effect.
The law, ORS 478.960 (4), requires that any equipment, used in agricultural operations powered by
internal combustion engines, be equipped with a fire extinguisher of suf ficient size and capacity, and
fire tools as required by the district fire chief.
Fires can ignite in several ways during the volatile Oregon fire seasons. The equipment itself could
catch on fire from faulty wiring or a severed hydraulic fuel line. Hot exhaust idling over dry vegetation
or even striking a rock could spark a fire.
Be aware and be safe. Keep a charged garden hose and shovel nearby. Always have good
communication tools at your fingertips (cell phone, radio, etc.) and know your exact location.
For more information visit:

Page | 25

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Marijuana Worker Permits
All employees who perform work on behalf of an OLCC licensed producer, processor,
wholesaler, or retailer, including but not limited to individuals who participate in the
possession, securing, or selling of marijuana items are required to possess a valid
marijuana worker permit issued by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission.
The Marijuana Worker Permit materials are available at .

Private Security Services

It is the responsibility
of the licensee to
ensure his/her
employees have the
appropriate valid

Any individual who performs, as their primary responsibility, any one or combination
of the below private security services requires certification as a private security

Observing and reporting of any unlawful activity;
Prevention of theft or misappropriation of any goods, money or other items of
Protection of individuals or property, including but not limited to proprietary
information, from harm or misappropriation;
Controlling access to premises being protected;
Providing canine services for the purposes of guarding or detection; or
Authorized by the persons’ employer as part of the person’s employment, to take
enforcement action by detaining or placing persons under arrest.

Regardless if the individual is armed or unarmed, wears a uniform or plain clothes, is
employed part or full time, this also includes individuals monitoring alarms, if they are
performing at least one of the above items, certification is required.
Does this include bud tenders?
If an individual is hired to be a bud tender and one of their primary responsibilities, as
indicated by their employer, is to physically, if necessary, escort individuals off the
premises that may be intoxicated, underage, or unwelcome, certification is required.
The Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) in conjunction with the
Board on Public Safety Standards and Training, is responsible for training, certifying and
licensing Oregon’s private security providers.
For more information visit or contact DPSST program
staff at 503-378-8531 or
Page | 26

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Food Safety Licenses
The Oregon Department of Agriculture is responsible for regulating the production, processing, and
distribution of food products in the state of Oregon.
If you are considering selling, storing, or manufacturing cannabinoid edibles, including the
manufacturing of concentrates/extracts intended for use in edibles, we recommend you visit the ODA
Food Safety Program web site at
A processing license is required from OLCC before ODA can provide onsite consultation assistance,
review site plans, or issue a food safety license.
ODA will not be able to issue a Home (Domestic) Kitchen Processing and Baking License for the
manufacturing of cannabinoid edibles.

Did you know? With the exception of packaging and labeling requirements that are established in ORS
475B*, cannabinoid edibles must be manufactured according to the same standards as traditional
*Read the full text of ORS 475B here: .

Page | 27

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Commercial Kitchen Photo by SME blog; Washing Hands Sign by - CC BY

Packaging & Labeling Pre-Approval
All products sold at an OLCC licensed retailer must be packaged and labeled according to the
requirements set out by the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) and the OLCC.


OLCC Licensees who hold a Producer, Processor, Wholesale, or Retailer license and are
packaging and/or labeling products for ultimate sale to a consumer must receive
approval from the Commission prior to selling or transferring any marijuana item to a
The packaging and labeling rules only apply to marijuana items for sale to a consumer,
these rules do not apply to licensees transferring bulk product to another licensee.

These requirements include, but are not limited, having the universal symbol, using a specific
font type and size for warning information, and including specific text based on marijuana
product type.

Did you know the
universal symbol
must be at least
0.48 inches wide
by 0.35 inches

For complete information visit: or contact Packaging
and Labeling Specialist, Jamie Dickinson, at or 503-872-5459.

Tobacco and Inhalant Delivery Systems Sales to Minors
Did you know any location which sells retail or distributes tobacco products or inhalant delivery
systems to consumers is required to have additional signage under OAR 333-015-0205?
An outlet must post a notice substantially similar to the notice described below in a location that
is clearly visible to the seller and the purchaser:
“The sale of tobacco products, smoking instruments and inhalant delivery systems to persons
under 18 years of age is prohibited by law. Any person who sells, or allows to be sold, a tobacco
product, smoking instrument or inhalant delivery system to a person under 18 years of age is in
violation of Oregon law.”
Review the full text of OAR 333-015-0205 at:

Page | 28

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Oregon’s Bottle Bill
Oregon stores that sell beverages must accept empty beverage containers and pay the
redemption value of the empty containers to customers at all hours the stores are open
to the public.

Prior to April 1, 2017: Refund value is 5¢.
Beginning April 1, 2017: Refund value will increase to 10¢.

Beverages currently included in Oregon’s Bottle Bill are water, beer, carbonated soft
drinks in container sizes up to and including 3 fluid lite rs.
Effective January 1, 2018, all beverages except distilled liquor, wine, dairy or plant-based
milk, and infant formula will be covered under Oregon’s Bottle Bill and will require to
have “OR 10¢” on containers between 4 ounces and 1.5 liters.

Stores are not
required to charge a
bottle deposit, but
whether they
charge a deposit or
not they must
redeem the empty

The size and location of a store determines how many empty containers that a store must
accept. Large stores (5,000 square feet or larger) that are not in a redemption center
zone must accept at least 144 containers per person per day. Small stores (under 5,000
square feet) that are not in a redemption center zone must accept at least 50 containers
per person per day. A redemption center is a staffed facility that has received approval
from OLCC to accept empty containers from consumers.
Large stores within a redemption center convenience zone must either participate in the
redemption center or must provide equivalent services to the redemption center,
including accepting up to 350 containers per person per day. A participating large grocery
store within the first convenience zone of a redemption center may refuse to redeem all
containers and within the second convenience zone may limit returns to 24 containers
per person per day. Small stores do not have to participate in a redemption center, but if
they are within a redemption center convenience zone may limit returns to 24 containers
per person per day.
Go to OLCC’s website at for
redemption center locations and more information on Oregon’s Bottle Bill.
You can also email questions, including checking to see if your store is within a
redemption center convenience zone, to:

Page | 29

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Air Emissions & Waste Management
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality does not regulate the growing or
processing of marijuana however, marijuana businesses must abide by existing
regulations designed to protect our air, land, and water. Air emissions, solid waste ,
hazardous waste, and wastewater management are areas where DEQ has a
regulatory role.
A list of conditions that may require a DEQ permit and contacts for more information
is available at .
Permit Requirements
If a marijuana grow or processing site uses boilers or heating units the
business may require:

A Notice of Intent to Construct
Registration of the unit
An Air Contaminant Discharge Permit

Federal and state
regulations governing air
quality may apply to
marijuana growers or

Visit for information about
the DEQ Air Quality Program.

Odor Controls
Commercial/industrial facilities with a DEQ permit, such as an Air Contaminant
Discharge Permit, are subject to DEQ’s Nuisance Odor Strategy.

For information about the strategy, see

Have you heard of Oregon’s Indoor Clean Air Act (ICAA)? This protects nearly every Oregonian from the
health risks of secondhand smoke. The ICAA, also known as the Smokefree Workplace Law, prohibits
smoking in the workplace and within 10 feet of all entrances, exits, and accessibility ramps that lead to and
from an entrance or exit, windows, and air-intake vents. For more information email the Oregon Health
Authority’s Public Health Division at

Page | 30

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Are you a marijuana processor?
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): Marijuana processing may
emit volatile organic compounds. Use of solvents for extraction is
one example. While it’s unlikely the volume of VOCs emitted from
marijuana processing would exceed the criteria for an air permit (10
tons per year of VOC emissions), businesses should be aware of the
requirements, which the DEQ regulates.


Burning: Waste from processing is considered commercial waste,
which may be prohibited from burning depending on location.
Additionally, some materials are prohibited from outdoor burning
including: plastic, solvents and wet garbage. Other materials may be
burned under regulations administered by ODA, DEQ, cities, and
More information is available at

Solid Waste Management
Marijuana-related solid waste must be composted, processed, or disposed of at solid waste facilities
permitted by DEQ to receive that type of solid waste.
Oregon Revised Statute 459 addresses management of solid waste in Oregon. DEQ’s materials
management rules address recycling of recovered materials, composting of organic wastes, and
disposal of solid waste.

Composting onsite: Marijuana growers that want to establish a facility to compost waste
vegetative material must apply to DEQ for a permit if the operation will compost onsite more than
100 tons per year of type 1 or 2 feedstocks (vegetative material or manures) or 20 tons per year of
waste that includes meat, eggs, dairy, or animal mortality, unless they meet certain exemptions
from permitting requirements.
Agricultural crop residues, such as vegetative marijuana wastes, are considered a “type 1”
composting feedstock and may be composted alone or with other organic materials. DEQ
encourages potential composters to contact DEQ to discuss the proposal to determine if an
application is necessary.
DEQ composting contacts and information about composting requirements is available at:

Page | 31

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Emissions photo by CasLab - CC BY



Composting off-site: Vegetative marijuana waste may also be sent off site to a DEQ- permitted
composting facility where it is processed into finished compost. DEQ staff can help growers find a
composting facility near their operations.


Solid waste storage and collection: Counties and cities regulate solid waste storage and collection
at the local level. Solid waste generators – including growers, waste haulers, and disposal facility
operators – are responsible for complying with solid waste storage and collection regulations.
Businesses should take reasonable measures and implement best management practices to
prevent trespassing and scavenging. For more information about waste storage and collection in
your area of business, contact your local city or county.

Hazardous Waste Management
Marijuana production could result in the generation of hazardous waste.
For example: Use of solvents for processing might result in ignitable or toxic wastes. Management of
pesticides may result in pesticide hazardous wastes. Disposal of hazardous waste above specified
quantities requires a U.S. EPA generator ID number obtained through DEQ.
More information about how to determine if your waste is hazardous is available at:

Businesses should be aware of the following potential hazardous wastes:

Page | 32

Pressurized gas
Used oil
Used mercury containing lamps
Waste pesticides – 3 percent or greater of any substance or mixture listed
in 40 Code of Federal Regulations 261.33(e) or 10 percent or greater of any
substance or mixture listed in §261.33(f)
Reportable quantities of a pesticide spill - pesticide residues greater than
200 lbs or 25 gallons

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Images: Hazardous Waste Sign by https://mrwebbsenvscienceclasswiki.wi kisp ace


Wastewater Discharge Management
Federal and state regulations governing water quality may require marijuana growers or processors
to apply for a DEQ Wastewater Discharge Permit.
Discharge of wastewater to a surface water body is prohibited without a permit.

Agricultural wastewater discharges:
o DEQ coordinates with ODA to manage nonpoint source agricultural runoff through
implementation of agricultural water quality management area plans.
More information is available at:

Land application of wastewater: Wastewater may be applied to the land under certain DEQapproved conditions.
Visit for more information.


Pesticide use near water: DEQ requires a 2300-A pesticide general permit for any pesticide
application in, over, or within three feet of water. Discharge of a pesticide must not cause or
contribute to a water quality standards violation.
More information can be found at


Page | 33

Pesticide Stewardship Partnership: DEQ is a member of the Water Quality Pesticide
Management Team, which coordinates with a number of agencies including OHA, ODA , and
ODF to implement the Pesticide Management Plan for Water Quality Protection. The plan
includes voluntary Pesticide Stewardship Partnerships to improve water quality associated
with pesticide use in Oregon.

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Images: Fish by Metatron - CC BY


Municipal wastewater discharges:
o Stormwater management: Discharge of any material other than uncontaminated
stormwater to a stormwater conveyance system (street, gutter, ditch, inlet storm drain) is

Pretreatment for sanitary sewer: Growers and processors may be able to discharge
wastewater to a local sanitary sewer. Pretreatment before discharge may be required.
Contact your local city or county for information about connecting or discharging to a
sanitary sewer system.

Discharge of any material other than uncontaminated stormwater (rain or snow melt) to a
stormwater conveyance system (street, gutter, ditch, inlet storm drain) is prohibited.

Onsite septic systems:
o DEQ or the local county may regulate an onsite septic system. Discharge of industrial
wastewater into an onsite septic system is prohibited since these systems are only designe d
to treat domestic wastewater. In addition, planting and growing marijuana on top of a
septic drainfield or irrigating and harvesting over a drainfield may affect a residential septic
system’s performance.

Agricultural Water Quality
In the production of any agricultural crop, including cannabis, growers are required to
keep their activities from polluting the waters of the state.
The Oregon Department of Agriculture is responsible for developing plans to prevent
and control water pollution from agricultural activities and soil erosion on rural lands.
ODA is also responsible for ensuring that growers, farmers, and ranchers meet the
state’s water quality standards.
ODA’s Agricultural Water Quality Program can direct growers to technical and financial
resources to implement projects that will benefit water quality.

The primary water
quality issues related
to agriculture are
excessive sediment,
nutrients, bacteria,
and water
temperatures. These
pollutants can harm
people and fish.

Visit the Agricultural Water Quality Program website for more information:

Water Rights
Under the law, all water in Oregon belongs to the public.
Water users, with some exceptions, must obtain a permit or license from the Oregon Water Resources
Department (WRD) to use water from any source including groundwater (wells) or surface water
(streams and lakes). Generally, water flowing through or past private property does not automatically
give the property owner the right to use the water without authorization from WRD.
Page | 34

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

New water permits are not available in parts of Oregon for a number of reasons
including hydrologic conditions, so investigate legal water resource options with
your local watermaster before starting a project.
A list of watermaster offices is available on the WRD website at:
Photos: Drop by Davide Restivo; Scenic View by Michael Beckwith - CC BY

Violations of Oregon Water laws can result in civil penalties or prosecution for a
Class B misdemeanor.
Most water rights in Oregon are obtained through a three-step process:
1. Apply to the Oregon Water Resources Department for a permit to use
2. Once the permit is granted, construct a water system and begin using
water. Hire a certified water rights examiner to complete a survey of
water use. Submit a map to WRD along with a report detailing how and
where the water is being used.
3. If the water has been used according to the provisions of the permit, WRD
will issue a water rights certificate.
Once you have a water right, you must comply with the certificate conditions. All
water rights are subject to forfeiture if not used for a period of five years. In times
of water shortages or drought conditions, a senior water user (older certificate)
can make a “call” for water and users with a junior water right may be regulated
off in order to provide water to the senior user.
Certain water uses are authorized under Oregon law as “exempt” from water use
permitting. These exemptions include:

Collection of rainwater from an artificial impervious surface (building roof)
Springs, that under natural conditions, do not form a natural channel, or
flow off the property where it originates

Remember to check
with the local
watermaster to make
sure that your system
is properly set up.

Oregon water law also has an exemption for groundwater for non-irrigation
related to commercial or industrial purposes. However, this exemption does not
include water for plant growth or cultivation. Any use of groundwater to grow
marijuana plants for commercial use does not qualify for an exemption. You must
obtain either a water use permit or acquire water from a provider such as a city or
water district.

Page | 35

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Withholding and Transit Taxes
Withholding Taxes
Most businesses in Oregon who have employees must report the wages and withholding to the
Department of Revenue . The income tax withheld must be sent to the department at the same time
the federal withholding is sent to the IRS.
Withholding laws and rules affect recreational marijuana retailers in the same way as any other
You may file the Oregon withholding tax returns quarterly, using Form OQ, or annually, using Form
Forms are available at
Transit Taxes
Transit district tax programs are administered by the Oregon Department of Revenue for the Tri County Metropolitan Transportation District (TriMet) and the Lane County Mass Transit District (LTD).
They provide revenue for mass transit. Transit payroll (excise) tax is imposed on nearly every
employer who pays wages for services performed in the TriMet or LTD districts.
A self-employment tax is imposed on self-employment earnings within the TriMet and LTD districts. If
you’re both an employer and self-employed you might be subject to both the transit tax on payroll
and the transit self-employment tax on your self-employment earnings.
The TriMet district includes parts of three counties in the Portland area: Multnomah, Washington,
and Clackamas. LTD serves the Eugene-Springfield metro area.
Transit laws and rules affect recreational marijuana retailers in the same way as any other
Reporting and paying withholding and transit
To report the tax, businesses must submit quarterly payroll reports to both the Employment
Department and the Department of Revenue.
For detailed instructions on submitting the above reports and making payments, please visit or call (503) 945-8100.
To register your business to report employees’ wages and tax please submit the Combined Employer’s
Registration form, available at
Page | 36

| Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018
For more information on withholding and
taxes, visitGUIDEBOOK

, or sell marijuana.

Liability & Property Insurance
The most common types of coverage a business obtains are business liability and property
While it is possible to get the above policies, some insurers worry that if they cover a loss, they
will be financially supporting a federally illegal activity. This is similar to why many financial
institutions are reluctant to open accounts for marijuana-related businesses. Because of the
conflict between federal and state law, and because the industry is relatively new, there is a lot
of uncertainty.
Although your standard insurance company may refuse to sell you a policy because of the nature
of your business, there are “surplus lines” companies that sell specialized types of coverage
specific for marijuana-related companies.
With regard to business liability and business property coverage, your insurance company may
cover some interests, but exclude marijuana products.
For example: Your insurer may provide liability coverage for someone tripping or falling in your
store, but it may exclude the products you sell. A business property policy may choose to cover
some items such as your building structure, computers, shelving, and furniture, but exclude the
actual marijuana products.
If you want to be sure something is covered, specifically ask for it. Ask your agent to show you in
the contract specifically where that coverage is found. If your policy contains a general “public
policy” exclusion or exclusion for illegal activity, ask your agent to amend the policy to explicitly
clarify whether marijuana is covered.
Keep your insurance company informed of your activities and maintain proper coverage to
insure that activity.

If the company knows you grow marijuana, and
It issues you a policy, and
Accepts premium for that policy, then it must honor that policy. The insurer would not
be able to refuse coverage because of illegal or dishonest activities.

If you have questions or complaints against your insurance company or agent, call 888-8774894 (toll-free) or go to
For more information regarding insurance visit
Page | 37

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Unemployment Insurance
Most businesses in Oregon must pay Unemployment Insurance (UI) taxes on their
employee wages. These taxes fund unemployment insurance claims filed by workers
who are out of work through no fault of their own.
OLCC marijuana retailers are subject to UI laws and rules the same way as any other
In order to assess the correct tax amount owed, businesses must submit quarterly
payroll reports to both the Employment Department and the Department of Revenue.
For detailed instructions on submitting these reports, please visit or call 503-947-1544, extension 1.
Work performed in the OLCC marijuana industry is not considered agricultural labor
in Oregon, and the exclusion detailed in ORS 657.045 does not apply to workers that
grow, process, or sell marijuana.

Due to the differences
between federal and
state laws, it’s
recommended that
all marijuana
businesses consult a
tax expert to ensure

Employee Classification
Some workers in Oregon are independent contractors and are not subject to UI taxes. These
workers do not need to be reported on quarterly payroll reports.
Did you know? Different states and different government agencies in Oregon each have their
own definition for independent contractors.
In Oregon, both the Employment Department and the Department of Revenue consider a
worker to be an independent contractor if the worker has direction and control over the
services provided, has an independent business offering the services provided, and is licensed to
perform the services (if a license is required).
More information about independent contractors can be found at or by
calling 503-947-1542. Please refer to ORS 657.040 and ORS 670.600 for the full text of the law.
The legalization of recreational marijuana did not result in any changes to existing UI laws or rules. A
worker that is fired due to being under the influence of marijuana at work may be denied
unemployment benefits.
Much like alcohol use, if someone reports to work under the influence of an intoxicant and the employer
has a reasonable written policy prohibiting workers from being under the influence, that worker can be
fired and denied UI benefits. If you have questions about a specific unemployment claim that has been
filed with these circumstances please call the UI Center at 1-877-345-3484. More information about the
Oregon Employment Department is available at
Page | 38

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Health Insurance for You & Your Employees
No matter how big or small, every company needs healthy employees, but the options for
coverage depend on the size of your company.
Businesses with 49 or fewer full-time equivalent employees (FTE) can choose whether or
not to offer coverage. Businesses who have 50 or more FTEs are required to provide
health insurance coverage for their employees or pay a penalty.
Don’t have any employees?

Businesses are not
required to offer
coverage for
employee’s spouse
or dependents.

If you don’t have employees, you may qualify for a health insurance plan through, where you can shop and compare plans. offers tax credits
to help pay for premiums and out-of-pocket costs such as co-pays and deductibles.
You may also qualify for a special enrollment period if you have a major life change, such
as having a child or getting married.
Visit or call 1-800- 318-2596 (toll-free) to learn more.
You may also qualify for the Oregon Health Plan (Medicaid), which offers free or low -cost
coverage for low-income Oregonians. If you earn less than $16,394 as an individual or
$33,534 as a family of four, you may qualify.
You can also visit or call 1-855-268-3767 (toll-free) to find
free, in-person help to sign up.
Have employees and want to offer coverage?
You can work with an insurance agent or insurer to get the right group coverage for your
employees. Businesses with fewer than 25 FTEs, that purchase a certified health plan,
may also be eligible for tax credits to help pay for employees’ coverage. The tax credit
covers up to 50 percent of premium costs for taxable organizati ons and up to 35 percent
for tax-exempt organizations.


Provide health insurance to your employees
Pay at least 50 percent of employee-only health insurance premiums
Pay average annual wages of less than $50,000 a year

For more information, visit

Page | 39

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Photos: Health Insurance by Belvidere Chiropractic - CC BY

To qualify, you must:

Office of Minority, Women, & Emerging Small Business
The Office of Minority, Women, and Emerging Small Business (OMWESB) is the sole
certification authority for the state of Oregon.
Being certified as a Minority Business Enterprise, Woman Business Enterprise, Emerging Small
Business Enterprise, or Disadvantaged Business Enterprise opens the door to targeted
government and private sector contracting opportunities.
For more information on how to obtain certification, visit the OMWESB website at

Energy Use
The Oregon Department of Energy (ODOE) helps Oregonians make informed decisions about
energy use.
The agency offers technical and financial resources for energy efficiency, energy conservation,
and renewable energy generation, with programs that target industrial and agricultural
partners. ODOE gathers and shares information about efficient technologie s for various
industries, including cannabis production.
ODOE provides an online calculator to help growers estimate and anticipate energy usage
associated with growing indoor cannabis. Growers use the calculator to apply for and renew
their OLCC permit. ODOE collects estimated energy use submitted as part of the permit
application, and actual energy use submitted as part of permit renewals. The agency uses the
information to develop benchmarks for the industry and to show energy trends over time.
The agency’s contributions to the Task Force on Environmental Best Practices helped to shape
recommendations for the cannabis industry in Oregon, including the creation of voluntary
third-party environmental best practice certifications. The agency’s technical team provides
information and resources to cannabis producers seeking to improve efficiency and conserve
energy in their operations.
To access ODOE’s energy usage calculator:
For more information about ODOE technical resources contact:
Marty Stipe, PE,, 503-378-4926

Page | 40

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Energy Trust of Oregon offers Oregon cannabis producers a wide range of technical services
and cash incentives to reduce energy-related operating costs at new and existing cannabis grow
Cash incentives can cover up to 50 percent of your investment costs and are based on annual
estimated energy savings.


High-efficiency lighting and lighting controls, including LEDs.
Technical studies, provided at no cost to the customer, to identify energy-efficiency
opportunities for heating, cooling, ventilation and other systems, and cash incentives
upon installation.
Cash incentives or rebates for greenhouse efficiency upgrades purchased through
vendors, including greenhouse re-glazing, heating system upgrades, and controls.

To be eligible to receive Energy Trust technical services and cash incentives:

Business must be registered with the State of Oregon and listed in the active business
The project site must be located in Oregon and served by Portland General Electric,
Pacific Power, NW Natural, or Cascade Natural Gas, on a qualifying rate schedule.
Additional eligibility requirements may apply and could vary depending on your project.

The following rebates and incentives are available for greenhouses, lighting, and indoor grow

Greenhouse Rebate: Participants purchase their items, fill in, and submit the
Greenhouse Rebate Form. Invoices/receipts and spec/cut sheets must be
Lighting Rebate: The lighting team can work with an operation to determine the
rebate amount available for lighting upgrades.
Calculated Incentives: This requires pre-approval. Large Industrial Program staff
visit the site and identify the energy saving measures applicable to that indoor grow
operation. Staff work with the participant to determine the incentive available and
sends the customer’s incentive payment once the energy efficiency measures are
installed and operating.

Visit or call 1-866-202-0576 for more information.
Incentives are subject to availability and may change.

Page | 41

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Indoor Production & Electricity
While there are a variety of factors that influence exactly how much additional electricity
you will be using—including lighting, ventilation, air conditioning, and drying— one of the
most important goals is ensuring you and your business are safe.
Your electric meters and neighborhood transformers can safely meet typical business
needs, but any time you are planning to make a big change in how you use electricity, it’s
essential to:

Call your utility provider to make sure your neighborhood transformer and wiring
can handle the additional electrical load; and
Consult a licensed electrician to ensure your service panel, meter base , and circuits
are adequate for your planned use.

Today, there are more lighting technology choices than ever before. Some lamps, like LEDs,
are extremely efficient. Others use large amounts of electricity. Metal halide and highpressure sodium lights use substantially more energy than many appliances in your home.
On average how long can your devices operate on 1 kilowatt-hour of electricity?

Clothes dryer (3,400 watts) – 17 minutes


Hair dryer (2,000 watts) – 30 minutes
Microwave (1,200 watts) – 50 minutes
Grow lamp (1,000 watts) – 1 hour
LED TV (50 watts) – 20 hours
Laptop (33 watts) – 33 hours

Did you know?
Keeping a 1,000
watt light turned on
for 16 hours is like
running your
clothes dryer for
Indoor producers could be paying about 13 cents for each kilowatt-hour of electricity. almost 5 hours each
Safety – First
Some metal halide and high-pressure sodium grow lights can pose a potential fire hazard
because they produce a great deal of heat, so be careful of their use and surroundings.
Always read the installation directions and warnings carefully and consult with a lice nsed
electrician during set up. Make sure you have a ventilation plan to remove unwanted heat
from the lights as well as the correctly rated circuits for your home.
LED lights use much less energy than traditional bulbs and don’t produce as much heat.

Page | 42

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Guidebook Revisions Record
Revised Date


Description of Revision

Nov. 25, 2015
Dec. 10, 2015
Dec. 10, 2015
Dec. 17, 2015
Dec. 21, 2015
Dec. 30, 2015
Dec. 30, 2015
Dec. 30, 2015
Jan. 7, 2016
Jan. 8, 2016
Feb. 25, 2016
Feb. 26, 2016
Feb. 29, 2016
Feb. 29, 2016
Mar. 22, 2016
Mar. 22, 2016
Mar. 22, 2016
Mar. 22, 2016
Mar. 22, 2016
Mar. 31, 2016
May 2, 2016
May 2, 2016
May 2, 2016
May 2, 2016
May 2, 2016
May 4, 2016
May 4, 2016
May 13, 2016
May 25, 2016
June 7, 2016
June 7, 2016
June 7, 2016
June 13, 2016
June 13, 2016
June 14, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016

Page 11/ Sec. 2
Page 15/Sec. 3
Page 10/Sec. 2
Page 2
Page 28/Sec. 4
Page 17/Sec. 4
Page 29/Sec. 4
Page 34
Page 5
Page 21/Sec. 4
Page 20/Sec. 4
Page 6/Sec. 1
Page 35/Sec. 4
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 5
Page 10/Sec. 2
Page 11/Sec. 2
Page 24/Sec. 4
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 17/Sec. 4
Page 11/Sec. 2
Page 2
Page 3
Page 34/Sec. 4
Page 39
Page 2
Page 3
Page 5
Page 6/Sec. 1
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 39
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 6/Sec. 1
Cover page
Page 2
Page 2
Page 5

Table at top of page corrected to include processing.
Final paragraph corrected content in parentheses.
Corrected final paragraph to clarify policy.
Repaired Broken Hyperlink.
Added content from Energy Trust of Oregon.
Added tax content from DOR.
Added tax content from DOR.
Regulatory Checklist updated to include new DOR content.
Deadline verbiage corrected to reflect statute.
Pesticides Use section updated to include list information.
Updated Weights & Measures Section.
Removed reference to Individual History Form.
Added information on indoor production and electricity.
Air Emissions & Waste Management sections combined.
Removed references to HB 3400.
Removed references to HB 3400.
Removed references to HB 3400.
Added Fire Season Requirements information.
Removed references to HB 3400.
Added information about local taxes.
Updated side note regarding LUCS for more clarification.
Added information for Oregon Healthcare.
Added information for Oregon Healthcare.
Added information about health insurance.
Updated checklist to include health insurance information.
Oregon Healthcare removed - is a division of DCBS.
Added information for DCBS: OHSA and Building Codes div
Updated “handler” to “worker” permit and added new requirement.
Opt out information clarified.
Removed references to residency requirement.
Updated side note regarding permits
Removed word “retailers” regarding worker permits
Added worker permit image
Included verbiage regarding storage of edibles
Added images for each license type
Guidebook name updated
Clarified section regarding marijuana sold in medical dispensaries
Removed reference to recreational
Removed reference to recreational

Page | 43

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Guidebook Revisions Record
Revised Date


Description of Revision

June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016
June 30, 2016
June 30, 2016
June 30, 2016
July 22, 2016
Aug. 23, 2016
Aug. 23, 2016
Aug. 23, 2016
Sep. 7, 2016
Sep. 7, 2016
Sep. 9, 2016
Sep. 9, 2016
Sep. 9, 2016
Sep. 9, 2016
Sep. 13, 2016
Sep. 13, 2016
Sep. 15, 2016
Sep. 15, 2016
Sep. 15, 2016
Sep. 15, 2016
Sep. 15, 2016
Sep. 15, 2016
Sep. 28, 2016
Nov. 1, 2016
Jan. 5, 2017
Jan. 5, 2017
Jan. 5, 2017
Jan. 5, 2017

Page 6/Sec. 1
Page 8/Sec. 2
Page 9/Sec. 2
Page 9/Sec. 2
Page 10/Sec. 2
Page 16/Sec. 3
Page 17/Sec. 4
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 33/Sec. 4
Page 26/Sec. 4
Page 26/Sec. 4
Page 41
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 34/Sec. 4
Page 42
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 4
Page 35/Sec. 4
Page 37/Sec. 4
Page 23/Sec. 4
Page 24/Sec. 4
Page 31/Sec. 4
Page 25/Sec. 4
Page 42
Page 17/Sec. 4
Page 18/Sec. 4
Page 19/Sec. 4
Page 20/Sec. 4
Page 43
Page 4
Page 28/Sec. 4
Page 38/Sec. 4
Page 2
Page 17/Sec. 4
Page 19/Sec. 4
Page 20/Sec. 4

Updated proof of lawful possession language
Removed reference to recreational
Removed reference to recreational and updated “opt-in” language
Updated 1,000 foot distance requirement
Clarified language regarding LUCS
Removed reference to recreational
Removed reference to medical marijuana
Updated language regarding worker permits
Removed reference to recreational
Added information regarding Packaging and Labeling
Added information regarding OAR 333-015-0205
Regulatory check list updated to include 2 most recent revisions
Updated info regarding worker permits
Added information about business property and liability insurance
Regulatory check list updated to include new insurance info
Updated website for worker permit materials
Corrected typo in contents
Corrected extension number and added references to ORS
Updated contact info.
Updated pesticide list number
Clarified language
Clarified language
Removed language regarding food handler cards
Removed language regarding food handler cards
Added clarifying language and moved registration section
Added clarifying language
Added clarifying language
Moved registration section to end of tax section
Moved registration section to match updated layout
Content pages updated
Corrected title of contact
Updated section regarding energy use
Removed text regarding early start
Added additional text regarding due dates
Italicized old due date
Added additional text regarding early start

Page | 44

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Guidebook Revisions Record
Revised Date


Description of Revision

Jan. 6, 2017
Jan. 9, 2017
Jan. 9 2017
Jan. 9, 2017
Jan. 9, 2017
Jan. 9, 2017
Jan. 13, 2017
Jan. 13, 2017
Feb. 2, 2017
Feb. 2, 2017
Feb. 2, 2017
Jun. 26, 2017
Jun. 26, 2017
Jun. 26, 2017
Jun. 26, 2017
Jun. 26, 2017
Jun. 26, 2017
Jun. 26 2017
Aug. 16, 2017
Oct. 6, 2017
Jan. 29, 2018
Jan. 29. 2018
Jan. 29, 2018

Page 39, Sec. 4
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 20/Sec. 4
Page 43
Page 24/Sec. 4
Page 45
Page 29/Sec. 4
Page 46
Page 4
Page 2
Page 17/Sec. 4
Page 17/Sec. 4
Page 30/Sec. 4
Page 31/Sec. 4
Page 32/Sec. 4
Page 39/Sec. 4
Page 9/Sec. 2
Page 6/Sec. 2
Page 6/Sec. 1
Page 9/Sec. 2
Page 20/Sec. 4

Added rebate and incentive information
Added DPSST link
Added DPSST link
Updated Table of Contents
Added section regarding private security services
Updated regulatory checklist
Unbolded text
Added DPSST logo
Added information about Oregon’s Bottle Bill
Updated regulatory checklist
Updated Table of Contents
Added a reference to medical processors
Removed old deadline
Removed filing deadlines and replaced with web link
Updated old web links
Updated old web links
Updated old web links
Removed old application date
Updated law chapters regarding proximity to schools
Removed language regarding license fee.
Added language regarding hemp privileges
Added ORS regarding proximity to schools
Removed language regarding early start

Page | 45

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

Regulatory Checklist





Page | 46

Eligibility Reminder
o Reviewed the OLCC opt-out list
Safety First
o Reviewed the Oregon Safe Employment Act
 Trained all employees
 Taken proper measures to prevent injury or illness during day‐to‐day activities
o Reviewed OSHA Division 4 rules (growers)
o Reviewed OHSA Division 2 rules (processors)
Know Your Business License Types
o Reviewed all of the OLCC license types and ensured you are compliant with OLCC rules
o Are prepared to present all required documentation with your application as indicated in
OLCC rules
Beginning Your Business
o Developed a business plan
o Obtained your Secretary of State business number
o Have reviewed BOLI’s laws regarding Wage and Hour, Civil Right Protections, Leave, Legal
Hiring Practices, and Discipline and Discharge
o Obtained all required building permits
o Worked with licensed contractors on electrical, elevator, plumbing, boiler, mechanical, fire
matters, and others as needed
o Obtained all required code inspections
o Maintaining relationships with local officials
o Following all odor controls under DEQ
o Following all zoning codes and have obtained your Land Use Compatibility (LUC) statement
o Obtained all permits in relation to emission compliance
Operating Your Business
o File marijuana tax returns quarterly
o Remit marijuana tax collected to the Department of Revenue monthly
o Registered for the marijuana tax program
o Using scales licensed by the ODA
o Confirmed all pesticides used are legal (if applicable)
o Reviewed fire season requirements (if applicable)
o All employees have marijuana worker permits (if applicable)
o DPSST certification obtained (if applicable)
o Obtained the appropriate ODA food safety licenses (if applicable)
o Submitted packages and labels for pre-approval (if applicable)
o Ensuring additional postage is up (if applicable)
o Reviewed Oregon’s Bottle Bill information
o Ensured your waste management plan is compliant with all DEQ regulations
o Contacted the local watermaster to discuss water rights and obtain proper permits
o Registered for withholding and transit taxes
o Reviewed liability and property insurance information
o Understand Unemployment Insurance and policies
o Reviewed information regarding health insurance
Energy Use
o Contacted ODOE to learn how to estimate energy use, costs, and improve energy efficiency
o Contacted Energy Trust of Oregon for technical services
BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018

This document provided by the following inter-agency contributors and
subject-matter experts

We would like to thank contributors of Creative
Commons for some of the images used.

BUSINESS READINESS GUIDEBOOK | Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018


Source Exif Data:
File Type                       : PDF
File Type Extension             : pdf
MIME Type                       : application/pdf
PDF Version                     : 1.5
Linearized                      : Yes
Author                          : Roslyn Espinosa
Create Date                     : 2018:01:31 10:06:26-08:00
Modify Date                     : 2018:01:31 10:43:15-08:00
Subject                         : Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018
Language                        : en-US
XMP Toolkit                     : Adobe XMP Core 5.6-c015 84.159810, 2016/09/10-02:41:30
Format                          : application/pdf
Creator                         : Roslyn Espinosa
Description                     : Version 5.6 – January 29, 2018
Title                           : bUSINESS READINESS gUIDEBOOK
Creator Tool                    : Microsoft® Word 2013
Metadata Date                   : 2018:01:31 10:43:15-08:00
Producer                        : Microsoft® Word 2013
Document ID                     : uuid:35250595-7ff7-44e2-a8f8-6345c4c35387
Instance ID                     : uuid:5f619753-1c82-4dd0-86d5-4b327b691579
Page Count                      : 47
EXIF Metadata provided by

Navigation menu